Germans already expressing regret

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here is an interesting debate...the Bill of Rights say you have God given right to travel freely and unemcumbered by the state and that right is absolute. That means it doesn't just apply to Americans but to everyone else too. We have no control over other nations I know but in a strict reading of the Constitution we should not be able to prevent people who have present no threat to enter the country. Passports only came about intermittently by executive order during the Civil War then WW1. It wasn't really codified until '78 and partially in '52. Interestingly, if you consider yourself a strict Constitutionalist, you should support people leaving and entering our country as they pleased.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is an interesting debate...the Bill of Rights say you have God given right to travel freely and unemcumbered by the state and that right is absolute. That means it doesn't just apply to Americans but to everyone else too. We have no control over other nations I know but in a strict reading of the Constitution we should not be able to prevent people who have present no threat to enter the country. Passports only came about intermittently by executive order during the Civil War then WW1. It wasn't really codified until '78 and partially in '52. Interestingly, if you consider yourself a strict Constitutionalist, you should support people leaving and entering our country as they pleased.

Care to quote the exact part of the bill of rights where it says that?

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Care to quote the exact part of the bill of rights where it says that?

I paraphrased from the early court but the exact phrase, "The people of each state shall have ingress and regress to any other state." State in that context also covers other nations. It's covered under the privilege and immunities clause in the constitution based on article 4 of the articles of confederation, and to a great extent under the forth amendment. If you've done nothing wrong and are not endangering anyone, can they make you produce papers that permit you to travel? I'm not talking about a drivers licenses or anything like that, separate issue.

It was considered so fundamental that the founders believed it need not be innumerated in itself. It's a long held right based on natural law on which many people have commented; Jefferson, Aquinas, Locke, and on and on. It's even in the Magna Cartaband can be traced as far back as Plato.

Look at the inverse, if you decide you want to leave the United States, can they tell you no? If so, where does that authority come from? Maybe they are concerned about criminals leaving the country. Well okay but it's on them to prove I have done something wrong not on me to prove I'm innocent. Or what if I can't afford a passport? So I'm not allowed to leave because I'm too poor too? If the government can restrain mobility based on immutable characteristics then there is no limit on that power whatsoever.

Main point, the idea you can leave and enter the country as you please is a old one. The idea you need paperwork to do the same is a new one. Restricting movement is an old one but is usually looked at negatively; Romans restricting the Jews, restricting the travel of slaves, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

CharlieMurphy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Still need to see the exact quote for the Bill of Rights. Your leaving something out?

I wasn't quoting exactly, off of memory fromthe first court case dealing with the issue. Forth amendment right to be secure in your person, papers and effects. Strictly speaking, nobody can demand you produce papers or anything else without a warrant or probable cause. That includes traveling as long as you are not violating private property. Privilege and immunities clause gives the right to leave or enter other states but this is more about states themselves limiting movement, not the federal government. States actually have more legal support to require papers for travel than the federal government.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rumors of the impending death of Europe are probably premature and overstated by bloggers/journalists in search of compelling stories. Merkel is stating that they do not have room for everyone who wants to come. Her right wing opponents are gaining strength. They have a big problem but they appear to be in the process of reversing course.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Friend of ours is a German lady that goes back home every year to visit family.
I won't relate what she thinks of the current population of immigrants and the new crop.

Well, I'm sure she no problem with them. After all, Germany has such a rich history as to their treatment of differing races and religions.

Its ugly how the German government is pandering to them.

Maybe the Germany people could elect a new leader. One that will have a final solution to the immigrate problem.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The German women have been told to dress more modestly to avoid confrontation with "migrants" and there is some concern with Oktoberfest and all the alcohol/beer served along with people in various stages of behavior. Then the Germans like their pork also so that is going to create a huge problem throughout the country. From what I've read, the Germans have to assimilate/change to suit the invaders. I've read also that there are iSIS terrorists entering the EU and that the mass "immigration" is a type of unarmed jihad. The "migrants" attack Christians in Germany and make some of the population nervous when a couple of young muslim men are loitering around. I still say, ship the single males back to where ever they came from on the leaky boat they landed. They are up to no good in my opinion.

Ace_on_the_Turn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The German women have been told to dress more modestly to avoid confrontation with "migrants" and there is some concern with Oktoberfest and all the alcohol/beer served along with people in various stages of behavior. Then the Germans like their pork also so that is going to create a huge problem throughout the country. From what I've read, the Germans have to assimilate/change to suit the invaders. I've read also that there are iSIS terrorists entering the EU and that the mass "immigration" is a type of unarmed jihad. The "migrants" attack Christians in Germany and make some of the population nervous when a couple of young muslim men are loitering around. I still say, ship the single males back to where ever they came from on the leaky boat they landed. They are up to no good in my opinion.

Yeah, I heard on Fox News there are parts of France that are "no go zones" controlled by Muslims. I've also heard that some cities, like Birmingham in England, are totally Muslims and non-Muslims are not welcomed or allowed there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom