Gimme Tulsa to Denver driving tips/sightseeing tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I literally just drove to Denver and back last week from Tulsa, I was not in for site seeing so I just went to Salina and turned left. There is not much to see along the way however I did see some gypsies this time that was fun they had an actual gypsy wagon. so basically some hills in Kansans with some windmills large and small and then flat Colorado until you see mountains popping up out of nowhere, foothills be damned! so that way is pretty boring I recommend a book or 2 on cd.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BTW, the general store in Kenton was closed last summer. Hopefully that will change.

That's terrible news :(

Gimme Tulsa to Denver driving tips/sightseeing tips

I didn't know Fiona Apple was playing in Denver :D Enjoy the trip! Nothing more I can add other than Kansas is even more boring than Oklahoma. The New Mexico / OK panhandle rouse is most interesting, which as you now is entirely relative because you're comparing it to Western Kansas.

The only other option that no one has mentioned is you can head west from Wichita on 400 through Pratt and hit up Dodge City. Then you get to, well... see Dodge City. Which these days is pretty uneventful. From there you keep heading west through Lamar and eventually catch the interstate in Pueblo. I have been through this way once and it's not bad, but not exceptionally great either. just more to take a different route if you have done the others (Panhandle, I-70)multiple times.

Oh, you can also take 40 all the way out to Tucumcari or Santa Rosa, then just head off through all the backwoods, abandoned as hell desolate impoverished New Mexican roads you could ever want. Just drive north and eventually you hit I-25 somewhere between Las Vegas (NM) and Raton. Done that too but it's NOT the fastest route. IN fact, It's deliberately slow. Very much a detour, more than Dodge City or Kenton. But it's a trip in and of itself. If you can spare the time, going beyond that and checking out Mora, Guadalupita, and Ocate is what I am talking about. But then you're damn near to Taos and Sante Fe instead of Denver.

Latest posts

Top Bottom