Glad it cooled off a little.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
200-300 yards Do you prefer 6.5 grendel or Creedmoor? Is there enough difference at that range to matter?
20220820_203312.jpg

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
300 is still within effective range of most Grendel stuff.

I know some guys like to extend that distance on the forums to 500 or whatever, but the fact of the matter remains that an outstanding factory load like the 123gr Hornady SST is going to drop below 2K FPS just after 300 yards, and will be under 1K ft/lbs energy by about 375 yards. Yes, you can definitely kill stuff further. However you are handicapping that round by that point (here's where someone will chime in with anecdotal or hearsay evidence contrary).

I have both a 6.5 Grendel in an AR, and a 6.5 Creedmoor in a bolt gun. I love the efficiency of the Grendel cartridge, and would pick that if I knew 90% of my shot opportunities would be under 200 yards. Once you start reaching out past 300 (especially in a shorter barreled Grendel), I'd be choosing the Creedmoor for the additional lethality.

YMMV.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take that 123 hornady SST out of the Grendel
I load them in the 6.5, not one hole accurate.
But 😳 the hole it makes. I am lazy, I don’t like following blood trails in the dark anymore.
I’ve always heard that SST’s make a mess on game, but I’ve shot A BUNCH of deer and pigs with handloaded 150 gr SST’s out of a 270 Win and have yet to see it.

jbarnett

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
300 is still within effective range of most Grendel stuff.

I know some guys like to extend that distance on the forums to 500 or whatever, but the fact of the matter remains that an outstanding factory load like the 123gr Hornady SST is going to drop below 2K FPS just after 300 yards, and will be under 1K ft/lbs energy by about 375 yards. Yes, you can definitely kill stuff further. However you are handicapping that round by that point (here's where someone will chime in with anecdotal or hearsay evidence contrary).

I have both a 6.5 Grendel in an AR, and a 6.5 Creedmoor in a bolt gun. I love the efficiency of the Grendel cartridge, and would pick that if I knew 90% of my shot opportunities would be under 200 yards. Once you start reaching out past 300 (especially in a shorter barreled Grendel), I'd be choosing the Creedmoor for the additional lethality.

YMMV.
All of my shots at the place in the pic have been 210 to 240. I've been wanting an AR10 and was thinking about the 6.5CM.
The biggest problem I have with the grendel is I'm not setup to reload and I have to shoot what ammo I can find. Im low on SST and have been shooting the ELD.

Latest posts

Top Bottom