Glock or 1911?`

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osy79

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ak47saiga, your post is actually asking others what their choice for CCW would be, not yours. Everyone has different reasons for choosing a CCW & almost as important as the weapon itself, the style & brand of holster. Some people like carrying in their pocket, some at 1:00, 3:00, 5:00, 6:00, etc (referencing the position on their body, not the time of day to carry). Different positions may result in different type/size/style/caliber firearm to meet that criteria.

Body style is another important factor. The type of clothing you will go with for your CC purposes.

Another important thing to consider is the caliber you want to invest in. You may have a bunch of 9mm's, and buying a 1911 for CC would be an entirely new investment for ammo & training. On the other hand, you may enjoy a 1911 more than life itself, and own several (or several dozen) in your lifetime. Even if you don't end up choosing a 1911 for your CC, you may want to stick with .45 caliber to keep your ammo investment & experience with that caliber consistent.

Then there are personal preferences. I absolutely love the 1911 platform, as well as the .45 ACP cartridge. However, my preference for CCW is not a 1911, as I prefer a lighter/slimmer option when carrying (but still use the .45).

One other thing to consider (as others have referenced) are the other fine polymer options that exist for CCW besides Glock. Glock is not the most ergonomic pistol to conceal, and for some that will be an important factor. I would definitely check out some firearms that are engineered for CCW like the S&W Shield, Kahr PM9 & PM45, Ruger LCP, & LC9, and Springfield XD-S. They will have varying calibers, trigger feels, and sight options, and designed to be some of the smallest & lightest CCW on the market. This may make carrying much easier as you get started.

The best thing I can advise is to go to H&H for their summer expo, from 7/19 - 7/21. This will give you an opportunity to try dozens of firearms at a fraction of the price at your typical rental rates.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a fine officer's size 1911, but it will weigh more than a small Glock. The Springfield EMP is a great gun and weighs relatively little with the aluminum frame. I even shot the one I had in competition once. It was great. Carrying a heavy gun is something you have to get used to, like learning to like straight liquor. For most people it's a deal-breaker. I carry an officer's size 1911, but that's mainly because I compete with a similar gun, and I won't have to train with two different systems.

Honeybee

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think you are way too worried about it right now, try out a few other guns and save your money.
Buy the best gun you can afford when you feel you need to buy it.
by the way I carry a snub nose Colt revolver and love it.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I usually leave the house with a J-frame 642 or 442, but if I feel the need for more than that, I go with a G26, which hides very very well IWB or a G36, which is my bad-mofo pistol and conceals pretty much just as well. Fact is, I think I'll go strap that G36 on now just cause I like the thing and how she shoots. You have to go through a lot of pistols if you really wanna find out what works for you. But there's a reason J-frames and Glocks are so popular for CCW.

tul9033

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a huge fan of the Glock's ergo's, the M&P's are much more refined IMO. With that being said, I carry a Gock 26 IWB :D With a G17 or G19 mag in my weak hand pocket. Big bonus that the G26, G19, G17 or the G27, G23, G22 mags are interchangeable respectively. Buy the caliber of your preference and keep the gun loaded with the factory mag then scatter the G17 or G22 mags all over for reloads. Even though I prefer to hold and shoot the M&P's, I prefer to trust my life with the simple brick like design of the Glock.
When not carrying the G26 I have a 642 in my pocket.

Latest posts

Top Bottom