GM..... no more gas powered vehicles sold by 2035

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ICanFixIt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This seems to be right up there with "when I win the lottery". There are many different technologies within the umbrella of lithium ion batteries. Some of them resist heating better than others. Some of them aren't as prone to catching fire as others. Some of them hold a charge longer. Some work better in cold or hot conditions. Some charge faster. NONE of them do it all.

I have an electric motorcycle and it is a real blast to ride, but I can use all the power of an 8-hour charge in less than one hour if I ride too aggressively. It will go from 0 to 60 mph in under 4 seconds, but if you continue to hold it wide open it will go less than a mile before it completely shuts down because of an overheated battery/motor/controller. How long are you willing to sit on the side of the road waiting for it to cool down? If you use all of your charge, you can't exactly call someone to bring a can of gasoline. I can go about 60 miles on a charge, but that drops by more than half at interstate speeds(70mph). I sure wouldn't want to have to depend on the e-bike as my only mode of transportation.

What does all of this have to do with winning the lottery? Well, just like the lottery, a lot of people have been trying to invent that perfect all-around battery, but so far, they haven't won. How long has the common cold been around without a cure? It isn't because nobody cares. They just haven't gotten lucky yet. The chances of finding that elusive perfect battery may be similar to curing the common cold or winning the lottery.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, Ford made a claim like that back in 14 or 15, aimed at "all electric" by 2025. Haven't made much headroom for it yet though.
AFAIK, the only claim Ford made about that back then was that they were investing heavily into the electrification of their fleet, but that umbrella includes hybrids and plug-in hybrids, which is what they've been doing (along with pretty much everybody else in automotive manufacturing).

Latest posts

Top Bottom