GMRS radio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't believe the distance hype of hand-helds. Yes, there are repeaters, but in regular use 1 to 2 miles is more realistic. 6 miles sometimes available. 36 miles be prepared to climb a cell tower or take an elevator to the roof of the One Oak building. Simply put, go for a 5 watt version and don't expect miracles.

deerstalker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't believe the distance hype of hand-helds. Yes, there are repeaters, but in regular use 1 to 2 miles is more realistic. 6 miles sometimes available. 36 miles be prepared to climb a cell tower or take an elevator to the roof of the One Oak building. Simply put, go for a 5 watt version and don't expect miracles.
I have no problem hitting the Wichita repeater from about 50 miles away with a 5 watt handheld - BUT- I'm high on the damn at Eldorado lake and the repeater is on the Garvey building around 300'.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no problem hitting the Wichita repeater from about 50 miles away with a 5 watt handheld - BUT- I'm high on the damn at Eldorado lake and the repeater is on the Garvey building around 300'.
OKC, OK 'burbs. Did get around 4 to 6 miles in Yukon a few times. Advertised Range 36 miles...

Latest posts

Top Bottom