Going To Get My Hands Dirty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So after years of office jobs I took a look at the oilfield and realized that I can toss my business degree and use the skills that I learned in the military in the oilfield and make more money. I have an interview tomorrow with a wireline/ logging outfit and a frac outfit next Thurs. I already have my CDL and HazMat and am wondering what average starting pay is in OK. Thx in advance

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've worked with lots of degreed persons in a non-degreed position. Some have enjoyed the change in their life and some have not.

Keep us updated with your decision on a regular basis.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
18-25 an hr depending on experience and CDL, which you have so you'll probably be at the high-end of that. The deal is that you'll be billing about 110-125 hrs weekly and THAT is where the serious cash comes in to play. Good luck! You'll love it!

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Starting pay is more than likely going to be better for a wireline company. Frac work sucks, just plain and simple, it sucks, boring, loud, dirty work. I'd go to a larger wireline, but the hours will probably suck worse (as meaning more hours) than your typical frac job. You work with and transport radioactive material for a wireline company, if that bothers you any, some people it may. Wireline is going to be easier work for the most part, you rig up, put your tool together, and sit in the truck out of the weather (really nice to be able to sit in the truck on a cold winter night job that lasts all day and all night in 10 degree weather). For the most part, rig hands love wireline guys, that is when the rig guys catch a break, so everyone is generally pretty happy to see you. Most accidents that happen to wireline crews are wrecking their trucks on the road, the trucks are very top heavy, and have never heard of one of those wrecks that didn't end in some kind of fatality. Better chance to move up doing frac work though I would think. Only a few postions on a wireline truck, 3-4 man crew is the norm I saw, compared to a lot of people on a frac crew, from drivers, riggers, techs, engineers, etc. There's give and take.

I have a friend that is a frac engineer for Halliburton, and a friend that does wireline for Baker Hughes, and each love their jobs.

My .02

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finished my Masters of Education degree in '86. In '87 I decided I was tired of driving a school bus every morning and afternoon, then on Friday parking the bus and working Friday, Saturday and Sunday night at WalMart. Then scrounging up a summer job. I went 18 months without a day off between all the jobs. Got a job at the paper mill and haven't looked back. I do miss teaching, but probably am not smart enough for this generation of kids to go back to it. There have been plenty of learning opportunities at the mill.

Degrees and white collar jobs are nice I suppose, but I do not regret swapping out.

sharkbait

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thx for the info. I bought into the lie and didn't realize it until I started listening to Mike Rowe. We will see how this goes, my interview with the well logging outfit stretched on for 2 hrs, 3 buildings and 2 trucks today.

Latest posts

Top Bottom