Good Article: Prepper Reality Check

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.theorganicprepper.ca/its-time-for-a-prepper-reality-check-08162014

Opening snippet:

You may have enough weapons and ammo stashed away to fight the next World War all by yourself…

You may have fortified your home and have 3 different routes mapped out to get to your bug-out retreat…

You may have a food stockpile that will see you, your family, heck, the whole darned neighborhood, through until the Second Coming…

You may tirelessly watch militant YouTube videos that show you how to take down your opponent in 3 easy maneuvers…

But..

If you aren’t realistic about your skills and your physical abilities, you are likely to be just as dead as the guy down the road who considers the two extra bags of Doritos in his pantry to be a food stockpile.

You need to know enough to realize just how much you don’t know.

It’s time for a prepper reality check. Be warned. You may not like it. And if you’re offended by this article, that could mean that you are one of the people I’m talking about.
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

The article is full of great points worthy of consideration, from the rank beginner to long-time outdoorsman. Definitely worth the time and the click.

1krr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good find! I especially like the "practice your skills part." It always cracks me up the people who think that the other side of a shtf situation will look like an everlasting round of Call of Duty. Truth is that everyone who thinks they are going to go it alone on the long term is as dead as the two bag of Doritos prepper. The only successful long term survival will come from communities of folks who bring together their unique skills and resources for the common good. Someone one who can do this:

[Broken External Image]

is infinitely more useful than someone who can only do this:

truthaboutguns_zippykid.netdna_ssl.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_02_shooting_range21.jpg

The ones who can do both along with a group of others who can do the same are the ones who will succeed.

IMHO anyway. ;)

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Much as I hate dealing with people, 1krr is right. (Man, I HATE it when that happens. :P) I wouldn't have a problem with being part of a community and bartering/buying/selling with other folks in that community -- or even folks from outside that community. But it would not be my first choice. My first choice would be the old lady up on the hill who the neighborhood kids think is some sort of witch ... :P

I've said this before ... I truly believe that no matter how strong a group you built with people outside your neighborhood or social circle now, if disaster strikes people will just naturally bond with those closest in proximity to them. I think you will find, for example, that the people in your neighborhood will come together and work together to get through whatever has befallen the area. After watching major disasters such as the St. Louis tornado, the Moore tornado and Hurricane Sandy you saw people coming in from the outside to help, but those who lived there and were affected tended to stay close to home and work with each other -- I'm sure at least in part to try and keep what little they had left secure ...

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan to be target practice for all roving marauders.
I know my weaknesses and know I won't last long.
But I can sure as heck take out a few bad guys on the way.
There's just no way I can make it through a normal winter.
That all being said I think most people over-estimate their abilities.
There are a ton of things you need to do to make it.
Thanks for sharing the link.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good read. I dropped 10 pounds this month and have 50 more to go. Not nearly as fun as putting it on but it must be done. 100 times more important than my next rifle.

Latest posts

Top Bottom