Ground Buck!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bulls eye

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ghillie suit paid off in a big way on Nov. 8th I was sitting in a thick spot and had seen a couple does that I passed on. I did a short estrous bleat and grunt calling sequence. About 10 minutes later I thought I heard a soft grunt behind me. As I was contemplating if it was a deer grunting or not I caught movement in my peripheral vision and this guy walked out from behind at around 5 yards. I looked at his rack once and then started to concentrate on the shot. I got my crossbow up when he was about 15 yards away and shot him at about 20 yards. I saw the bolt hit tight behind the shoulder with good penetration but no pass thru. First time in over 20 deer I didn't have a pass through with my crossbow. That worried me because I know no pass thru generally equals not much of a blood trail. I waited 30 minutes then walked to where I shot him and there was not ONE drop of blood, my heart sank. I walked the thirty yards before he hit the thick stuff and could not find one drop of blood, hair, etc... My stomach started to hurt. I replayed the shot over and over in my mind and knew that bolt had penetrated to the fletching. I waited another 30 and started into the thick stuff with no blood whatsoever. I started to walk random deer trails and on my third one there he was dead as dead can get. When I field dressed him there was a ton of blood in the body cavity and both lungs were sliced completely threw. he went about 100 yards. He was a good 10 including the trash on the bases and had great mass. Definetly my best public land buck. I hauled him out with a pair of hand trucks which would have been great if the tires would have been bigger.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great deer man! Way to get it done on public ground...your adventures with the Ghillie this year have convinced me that my next hunting purchase is a suit of my own, congrats again on a really nice 10.

Latest posts

Top Bottom