Gun goes off by itself? Doubtful.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Story copied below from kotv website. Anytime I hear something like this I always wonder, "what really happened?" Sad whatever happened, but hate that the public thinks guns just go off by themself.

http://m.newson6.com/Story.aspx?story=22429077&catId=112042

A LeFlore County teenager taken to a Tulsa hospital after she was accidentally shot in the head Sunday afternoon has died according to the sheriff's office.

KFSM TV, the CBS affiliate in Fort Smith reports Saylor Slone. 15, died after arriving at a Tulsa hospital.

The incident occurred just after 2 p.m. at a home in the community of Tucker. Tucker is located east of Spiro.

LeFlore County Sheriff Rob Seale says a .38 caliber handgun discharged inside the home. He says no one was touching the gun when it went off.

Seale says the gun belongs to the teen's parents.

The teen was flown by medical helicopter to a Tulsa hospital.

Oklahomie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if further investigation will conclude that it was a accidental discharge... I just find it hard to believe that any weapon would go off without someone tinkering with, or touching it. I guess it is possible... Either way, it is a very sad story... :(

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My thoughts maybe the revolver was cocked therefore in single action mode, but still find it hard to believe it would just go off unless obvious mechanical failure present.

It just sounded strange in the article where they specifically say the sheriff said no one touched the gun. Most time it will say further investigation, or still gathering facts, etc. maybe I'm reading too much into it but when it just comes out and says no one touched it before they even fully investigate, sounds kinda strange...

Oiler104

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another report states .380

“We were talking with the sibling that was there in the room with her,” Seale said. “It was an accidental discharge. They laid the handgun down, and it went off.”

Seale said the injured teen was in a bedroom of her family’s residence in the Tucker community, located in northwest LeFlore County, along with her 12-year-old sister, handling a .380 caliber semi-automatic pistol at around 2 p.m. After one of the girls placed the gun on a counter, the 15-year-old reached down to pick up her cellphone and the gun suddenly discharged, according to Seale.

“Nobody was touching the gun when it discharged,” Seale said.

The girls’ mother was outside the residence when the gun discharged, according to Seale. The gun belongs to the teen’s parents, he said.

The gun’s discharging may be the result of a production flaw, according to Seale

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another report states .380

“We were talking with the sibling that was there in the room with her,” Seale said. “It was an accidental discharge. They laid the handgun down, and it went off.”

Seale said the injured teen was in a bedroom of her family’s residence in the Tucker community, located in northwest LeFlore County, along with her 12-year-old sister, handling a .380 caliber semi-automatic pistol at around 2 p.m. After one of the girls placed the gun on a counter, the 15-year-old reached down to pick up her cellphone and the gun suddenly discharged, according to Seale.

“Nobody was touching the gun when it discharged,” Seale said.

The girls’ mother was outside the residence when the gun discharged, according to Seale. The gun belongs to the teen’s parents, he said.

The gun’s discharging may be the result of a production flaw, according to Seale

Well that definitely sheds more light on it. The story I saw had hardly any details, this at least puts someone else in the room that had been touching the gun. Very sad though for the family. Prayers for them, I just hated to see the story I saw first to act like a gun had been laying in the same spot all day then all of a sudden fire, that's the way they made it seem at first.

Latest posts

Top Bottom