Gun smithing at home question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Never had enough barrel to clamp. Googled reaction rod and Brownells now has $50 bucks of mine. Thank you!

You're welcome. Just don't use the reaction rod to install or uninstall barrel nuts. Contrary to what Gieselle or anyone else says, it's a bad idea.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I'll have to pull up my 3D model of the AR at some point and mull it over. I think either way, you are transmitting torque through the index pin. I'd go with your statement for now, since you seem to have thought about more at this point.

Either way, you want the right tools for the job.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'll have to pull up my 3D model of the AR at some point and mull it over. I think either way, you are transmitting torque through the index pin. I'd go with your statement for now, since you seem to have thought about more at this point.

Either way, you want the right tools for the job.

I'm not a physicist, but here is my opinion. The barrel nut clamps the barrel extension and receiver together, there shouldn't be any rotation of the barrel or receiver happening. Unless, you generate enough friction between the barrel nut and receiver threads or barrel nut and barrel extension to overcome the clamping force being generated. The Army TM advises clamping the barrel in a vice while torquing the barrel nut, FWIW.

Latest posts

Top Bottom