Gunman opens fire at school board meeting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since I am not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV I have a hypothetical question.

Say the woman did have a gun, and she did shoot the gunman. How does this play out? Technically she is in commission of a felony by possessing the gun right? And so how does that affect her taking out the gunman?

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
Luckily I the state of Oklahoma we won't have to worry about a following civil lawsuit and the incident has been found to be justifiable. And by the looks if this video.....TOTALLY justifiable. IMO

What? Did I miss a new law somewhere? Anybody can file a civil lawsuit, justified or not. If you shoot somebody no matter the reason or justification you are likely to get sued in civil court by some grieveing spouse or family member.

This is exactly why you run away when the **** hits the fan and shoot only if you absolutely have to.

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What? Did I miss a new law somewhere? Anybody can file a civil lawsuit, justified or not. If you shoot somebody no matter the reason or justification you are likely to get sued in civil court by some grieveing spouse or family member.

This is exactly why you run away when the **** hits the fan and shoot only if you absolutely have to.

You might want to read the law attached ot the Stand your Ground law in OK then. Under that law if you kill someone while defending yourself and the shoot is considered righteous then you are exempt from civil suit by the bad persons family or any other person.

you do not have to run away form the threat, while it is recommended if you to do so.

In this ladies Case I dont think she could of have done much, maybe if she had a weapon she could of have tried to detain him under citizens arrest but I dont think she could of have randomly popped him in the back of the head. Now once he turned to her while she was on the ground and pointed the weapon at her had one of the other people in the room had a weapon they could of have fired at him in dfense for her.

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to present a scenario for discussion.

Let's say that it WAS legal for someone to carry in that room who was NOT in his line of fire (sitting at the table in front of gunman). Would they still have to wait until the gunman discharge a round before they can consider themselves in harms way and return fire?

He already mentioned he wanted to die and pointed his weapon at several people...take him out...justifiable shooting. You would be hard pressed to find anyone wanting to press charges....

Darth_Vader

Marksman
Reaction score
PLEASE explain to me how the moment this man pointed at the people , the security guard did not open fire first ? what kind of security is that ? Thank god the man had bad aim

Slammer

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, OKlahoma City, OK 73105
You might want to read the law attached ot the Stand your Ground law in OK then. Under that law if you kill someone while defending yourself and the shoot is considered righteous then you are exempt from civil suit by the bad persons family or any other person.

you do not have to run away form the threat, while it is recommended if you to do so.

In this ladies Case I dont think she could of have done much, maybe if she had a weapon she could of have tried to detain him under citizens arrest but I dont think she could of have randomly popped him in the back of the head. Now once he turned to her while she was on the ground and pointed the weapon at her had one of the other people in the room had a weapon they could of have fired at him in dfense for her.

When was that law put into effect. I took my CCW class form a criminal defense attorney and he said be prepared for a civil suit following any shooting. Unless I heard him wrong?

TJay74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the exerp form the law as well...

F. A person who uses force, as permitted pursuant to the provisions of subsections B and D of this section, is justified in using such force and is immune from criminal prosecution and civil action for the use of such force. As used in this subsection, the term "criminal prosecution" includes charging or prosecuting the defendant.

dru

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I gotta say the guy in the middle there had some guts where he was trying to talk to shooter into dealing with only him and letting his co-workers go since he was the one who would have signed off on his wife's job termination or whatever it was

Blue Baby

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
PLEASE explain to me how the moment this man pointed at the people , the security guard did not open fire first ? what kind of security is that ? Thank god the man had bad aim

He wasn't in the room at the time. The people that were asked to leave went and got him. According to the news station I was watching last night.

Latest posts

Top Bottom