Hale Koa Hotel Waikiki

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Change 2. Darlene just informed me she and Mary are going to Hawaii and you and I are staying here. We don't even get to go to the Sierra. Oh, and she definitely needs to get on your credit card account.[/QUOTE

I have a credit card account? No, Mary said it's just her on the credit card; something about a big savings if it's just her. Plus, even better news, I think she was able to get my entire retirement check debited to that so she can have access to it for shopping. Whew, I was sweatin' it; how was I gonna spend all that money? Man, am I ever lucky to have such a smart wife.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just rolled in from a week on Oahu, we did a lot, and discovered a few more things to do as well.

We stayed in the Waimea Beach area, great area, good place to branch out from. We spent a good portion of our time on the north east side of the island(Hauula) for wedding related activities. We did kayak to China Man's hat, and climbed to the top(not an easy climb at all). We also did the ATV ride at Kualoa Ranch, tons to do there, many movies were shot there. Food trucks along the way were all good, nothing really stuck out. Ted's bakery is great, the made to order breakfast was just OK, but the fresh donuts were awesome. In Haleiwa there is some shopping, I saw the shaved ice place, but it isn't my thing. We did have breakfast in Haleiwa 2 mornings. Kono's is incredible, their specialty is "Bombers", basically a burrito. I had the biscuit and gravy bomber, has B's and g's obviously, egg, potatoes, and bacon. It was incredible....

The next morning we ate at Cafe Haleiwa, their waffles are outstanding.

Made it in to Honolulu one night for some time with friends, really just like any big city to me except it has a beach. The north shore is a whole different vibe, I personally like it much better up there.

The Arizona monument is closed, the dock for the tour boat has broken from it's anchors. It's been that way for 4 months, with no indication when it will be fixed. Instead there is a boat tour for the same $29 that takes you along battleship row, and to the bow, and stern of the Arizona.

It rained a LOT while we were there, a couple of days were hard rains for extended periods. We wanted to loop all the way around the east side of the island but didn't get time to do it.

pritch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’ve never done it before, consider the Atlantis sub ride. Water is clearest early in the morning. Avoid purchasing tickets at the hotel or in advance. The best prices can be had on site. They operate in front of the Hilton.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you’ve never done it before, consider the Atlantis sub ride. Water is clearest early in the morning. Avoid purchasing tickets at the hotel or in advance. The best prices can be had on site. They operate in front of the Hilton.

Thanks. And well, crap. Kinda. I've already bought tickets for the Premium Atlantis Sub Ride and the "Majestic" Sunset Dinner Cruise, and for a Luau. Got reservation's for an Ocean View Room at the Hale Koa taken care of too. I am familiar with Oahu as I was stationed there a few times and one of them was my last tour before I retired from the USMC...(Feb 1993!) Going to surprise the wife with a Limo to meet us at the Airport to take us to the hotel; no crappy cattle-car-shuttle thang for me and MY woman! We are gonna do the Limo, as it best suits a man of my social status and position in life. Renting a car at the hotel for Tues-Thur so we can go to Diamond head, Hanauma Bay, Halona Cove (From Here to Eternity Beach), Kailua Beach/Town one day and the Kaneohe Bay/Windward Side/North Shore the next, with an unplanned day as of now for Thursday to go back wherever and/or do the Banzai Pipeline and other points up north in February. The North Shore and Waimea Bay is flat in the summer and roaring like crazy in the winter. If you've never seen a 25-foot wave crashing on the beach, it's pretty darn cool. Raw, natural power. And if there are any surfers out there riding them, you better believe they are either pros or fools. I will NOT be on a board on the North Shore this trip as I would like to come home alive. Oh, I have to get her a Shave Ice at Matsumotos in Haleiwa for sure too. That's a cool little town on the North Shore worth a visit. I'm ready to go already but, don't fly until Feb 2.

Last edited:

Backstrap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Been back less than a week from 8 days in Hawaii. Spent the first two nights in Waikiki area of Honolulu so we could see Pearl Harbor. Took a two hour Segway sunset tour; rode out to the lookout at Diamond Head and then caught the sunset on the way back in. Great fun; Segway store is in the Marriott hotel complex if you’re interested. Used Lyft while in Honolulu as I didn’t want to drive in the traffic and the hotel charged $40/night to self park. Had a great burger at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Left the crowds of Honolulu and then flew to Kauai for the last five nights - most beautiful place on earth I’ve ever seen! Took a five hour speedboat (twin outboard Evinrude motors) tour up the Na Pali coast; went into some caves along the way. Breathtaking scenery!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Been back less than a week from 8 days in Hawaii. Spent the first two nights in Waikiki area of Honolulu so we could see Pearl Harbor. Took a two hour Segway sunset tour; rode out to the lookout at Diamond Head and then caught the sunset on the way back in. Great fun; Segway store is in the Marriott hotel complex if you’re interested. Used Lyft while in Honolulu as I didn’t want to drive in the traffic and the hotel charged $40/night to self park. Had a great burger at Cheeseburger in Paradise. Left the crowds of Honolulu and then flew to Kauai for the last five nights - most beautiful place on earth I’ve ever seen! Took a five hour speedboat (twin outboard Evinrude motors) tour up the Na Pali coast; went into some caves along the way. Breathtaking scenery!
We need pics!

Latest posts

Top Bottom