Ham Radio Field Day this weekend

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just a reminder that the Ham Radio field day is this weekend, June 28-29 2014. Go here http://www.arrl.org/field-day-locator to find a field day site close to you. If you have ever wanted to experience Ham Radio, now is your chance. Most of the field day sites that I have ever been associated with encourage non licensed persons to operate the station under the control of a licensed ham. The evening hours are always a good choice as the number of operators is down during the evening and the temperature is cooler. I posted this info in the communications sticky as well. I normally try to operate during field day but as I am scheduled for surgery Tuesday, I probably won't be recovered enough to participate this year. Go out and enjoy... Blitzfike

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Two clubs RCWA and MCARC are having a joint Field Day in Pryor, OK at Whitaker park starting at 1PM Saturday till 1PM Sunday. All people of all ages are welcome to stop by and see what Ham Radio is all about.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in OKC and will make the round of probably 3 different Field Day locations. OCAPA is having theirs at Stanley Draper Lake in an air conditioned tent; the FAA bunch, W5PAA will theirs in Mustang at Wild Horse Park in a comfy air conditioned RV; and EARS, the Edmond group, will have theirs at Oak Cliff Fire Station # 2, north of Edmond almost to Guthrie. There will be other groups. Each group will have free water, tea, cold drinks, coffee, etc as they can, and most will have a meal set up at their own decided time.

Please Please Please do come by and meet each group that you can. Each group will have a station set up specifically dedicated to newcomers and anyone else who would like to see what this is about. You'll be more than welcome to sit down and operate a radio and discover the thrill of it. A licensed person will be at your elbow guiding the way. I promise you'll have a great time.

I've been a licensed amateur radio operator for 24 years now and I still find it to be exciting and even magic. How does it work? How interesting! It's amazing to be able to work the entire world with just some wire and not much power. A huge tower and antenna is not necessary, often times just some wire strung up will work the world. It's fascinating, fun and rewarding to talk to people from other countries and cultures.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's another "Good Luck" ... having surgery sucks but I have to admit that every time I've had one done, I felt a LOT better ... after that initial "OMG WHY DID I LET THEM DO THAT TO ME!!" phase passed ... :P

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After some serious cutting, I'm back home. This one hurts more than the original, maybe that's because I home early and not getting the "good stuff". I'll probably be on oral pain meds for at least another day and then on 15 pound restriction for lifting for 6 weeks.. How to explain that to small grandkids... Oh well.. God is good.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
After some serious cutting, I'm back home. This one hurts more than the original, maybe that's because I home early and not getting the "good stuff". I'll probably be on oral pain meds for at least another day and then on 15 pound restriction for lifting for 6 weeks.. How to explain that to small grandkids... Oh well.. God is good.

Glad you are home and things went like they were supposed to. Yep ... that getting sliced and diced is no fun but after the pain subsides it'll be worth it. Every surgery I've had I've wondered later why didn't I just get in there and get this done sooner because I felt so much better after it was over.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GeneW where at Draper will OCAPA be setup at?

That's weird, I don't see it on their website. This is from ARRL website

W5MEL
Oklahoma City Autopatch Association
Draper Lake, Point 10, Area 2
Oklahoma City, OK
GOTA: YES
Talk-in: 147.21MHz (+) / PL 141.3Hz
405-737-6716
[email protected]

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom