Have you ever had a good "boss"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, I have.

Just yesterday I spent several happy hours,,,
Shooting with a former "Boss" at their farm/range.

At 46 years old I went back to university,,,
Todd was the manager of the student computer lab,,,
And even though I barely knew how to turn a computer on,,,
He hired me as a student worker because of my past retail/customer service background.

That started a working relationship that lasted for over a decade,,,
2 1/2 years as a student worker and 3 years as a graduate assistant,,,
Then 6 more years as a full-time staff person running the on-line learning platform.

I was Robin to his Batman,,,
Or Tonto to his Lone Ranger,,,
Depending on your generational memories.

He eventually left the university to be a Catholic High School Principal,,,
We collaborated on many project, locked horns on many of them,,,
But always managed to get the job done effectively.

I had decent bosses after that,,,
But never had quite the working relationship we enjoyed.

He's had great success in his career after the job move,,,
Just a few months ago he finished his Doctorate in Education.

I retired from OSU three years ago,,,
I attribute a lot of my achievement to him,,,
He gave an angry 46 year old man a chance to succeed.

I will never forget that.

Aarond

C_Hallbert

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was fortunate to have excellent bosses during most of my working years with only two exceptions in the list. The good ones were Gunny Pruitte, USMC; Mr. Theodore Roosevelt London (Mr. London), BS, RRT {My Favorite: Director, Respiratory Therapy Dept./Syosset Hospital on Long Island, NY} He is an educated, reserved, highly intelligent person whose very nature inspired excellence from those who worked with and for him because they didn’t want to disappoint him. He was an astute mentor and a natural leader who was perceptive, systematic, organized and engaged with everything within his domain. However, the man would listen to his employees and could change to improve processes based on logic, efficiency and demonstrated results. I worked for him from 1971 to 1975 advancing from trainee to head supervisor at the start of my third year. After this, I worked weekend/nights from 1976 to 1977 because he needed coverage and couldn’t find a suitable person. I’ve maintained contact with him over the years. He was 92 years old last year and can hardly speak, anymore He is a black man who I revere with the same love and respect as if he was my father…..

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever had someone you reported to that respected your abilities and work ethic? Most companies seem to to choose and reward delusional people for management positions.
We have a pretty good one now. Competent, fair and a decent guy.

Veritas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you ever had someone you reported to that respected your abilities and work ethic? Most companies seem to to choose and reward delusional people for management positions.
My current boss, they are not only incredibly supportive and allow me to run my department as I see fit, but they also are a true visionary and inspire me each time we meet.

I hope I am in turn a good leader for all of the people reporting to me, I have tried to be a servant leader and take all the lessons I learned in the army to look out for my people’s well being to heart.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been at my place of employment now for just over 19 years. In that time, I've served under five different chief's. Three of them were awesome. One was kind of a micro manager and the other was just a plain and simple horse's ass.

In years before that (about 16) they were all pretty much pricks, except one man. He was one of us. He was the kind of chief who would arrive at calls before you and kick ass. He always had his officer's backs and he was a wheeler-dealer with gun swaps. I miss him.

The current chief is probably one of the best I've ever worked for. Very knowledgeable and extremely flexible on our needs and concerns about time off for illness, family time, personal issues whatever. If I need off, he makes it happen. If he can't find someone to cover my shift, he covers it himself.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have since I have been at my current company. Right now I talk to her probably once or twice a month and that is only when I need her approval for something. Other than that, she has faith I can do my job and leaves me alone to do it.

Since the mid-2000s or so, all of my bosses have been in another state and at my old company, most were just horrible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom