Help RidgeHunter find a cartridge holder (or make me one) for his Ruger No. 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I couldn't decide whether to put this in gear or rifles. Maybe shoulda been gear, hindsight being 20/20 and all.

So I picked up one of the Lipsey's Blued/Walnut No. 1's in .35 Whelen this summer and am finally getting around to setting it up for rifle season. I had absolutely no need for it but I thought it was cool beans.

I do not like buttstock holders for several reasons. What I'm looking for is a cartridge holder that goes on the forend of the gun and holds 2 shells horizontally, parallel to the barrel. I found this pic of one a guy made one a forum by google searching. I can't seem to find anyone that makes and sells anything like this, though. Ideally it would be half-way decent looking as it's a purty rifle, but function is more important.

Oh, and I'm a lefty and will want it on the left side of the gun.

i837.photobucket.com_albums_zz300_hornhead_man_cartridge_20holder_photo0012.jpg

How can I acquire such a beast?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ridgehunter just needs be sure to remove the holder at the end of the hunting season, or Ridgehunter may end up with a band of different-colored wood (and steel) underneath the holder.

oneof79

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a saddle shop on Agnew just south of Langstons. I'll bet if you took that picture in there you could work something out. Have your rifle handy for them to take measurements.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A leather/saddle shop is something that crossed my mind if I can't find one to buy. Preferably one that wouldn't freak if I brought them a gun. I'm in Tulsa though, any around here you guys have experience with?

Any of you happen to play with leather that could work me something up if I gave you measurements?

All ideas/suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Last edited:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carry one round in each pocket. If you miss the first shot, you're out of luck anyway. That's the whole point of the #1.

My theory being that during the late Oklahoma fall I shed/add layers of clothes all the time and don't really want to mess with carrying rounds in my pocket. If I had 2 rounds there on the gun, in a nice neat little package, it would be easier. Grab that little dude and be set for the day. I'm going for simplicity here.

Thanks for the ideas so far, and keep 'em coming.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ridge, I may know someone who can make just what you are looking for. His name is Alan and he usually sets up at the smaller Tulsa area gunshows. He's been building mostly CAS type holsters but he'll make pieces on request. I'll find some better contact info for Alan and try to post it this evening.

Latest posts

Top Bottom