Help RidgeHunter find a cartridge holder (or make me one) for his Ruger No. 1

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know you said no need, but just curious what you may end up hunting with this (the 35 Whelen part, not necessarily the Ruger part). I figure you'd already have a suitable deer rifle, which this would obviously work for as well. Moving up to something larger (Elk? Black Bear?) or just liked the rifle and cartridge enough to pick one up?

No need to justify anything to me, as I own tons of cool stuff I don't need :) But I figured I'd ask.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sol.torluemke and Erick, much appreciated. If you find someone not local to me, I could always send take measurements for them and get it close enough. I'd be glad to pay any reasonable amount for one.

Dusting Aunder, I don't love you and and never did.

I know you said no need, but just curious what you may end up hunting with this (the 35 Whelen part, not necessarily the Ruger part). I figure you'd already have a suitable deer rifle, which this would obviously work for as well. Moving up to something larger (Elk? Black Bear?) or just liked the rifle and cartridge enough to pick one up?

No need to justify anything to me, as I own tons of cool stuff I don't need :) But I figured I'd ask.

I already had at least 3 suitable deer rifles and one suitable elk rifle before this purchase. :/

Several reasons. I'd always wanted a little No. 1 because I like the way they look and the size/weight of them. With a 22" barrel it's the same length as a Winchester 94 carbine due to not having an action; they weigh 6.5 pounds or a hair less. Plus I love tang safety guns. I've also always had a thing for medium bore cartridges, particularly the Whelen; the ballistics are awesome and Townie was one cool cat. He's up there with Hemingway and Roosevelt in the too dudely to comprehend list.

Ruger released 250 stainless models through Lipsey's a few years ago. I got all exited until I saw one in person and realized stainless and a classic falling block rifle makes an ugly combo. When I heard they released 250 blued/walnut models this year I immediately ordered one.

It's going to be my new deer rifle, but hopefully it will see some bigger game one day; lawd knows it would be in its element on something bigger. Anything that can throw a 250 grain hunk of lead that fast is worth taking note of. Another versatile, do-anything cartridge almost forgotten since the magnum craze. I'll post pics/range report when I get it set up and dialed in.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I admit you've got me eying No. 1s after this post. I always knew they were out there, but never looked them over that closely. I too like how the singe shot makes them handier than a bold action with of the same barrel length. I'm a huge fan of my cheapy singe shot H&R 12 gauge, much more than my Mossberg pump; this obviously is a similar principle, but in a rifle cartridge and much more refined.

Never knew about the 35 Whelen offering until your thread prompted me to read it. Makes me want one, though I know I'd risk being called a copy cat. Other calibers may be more economical or practical to shoot (for me, who is far less an avid a hunter that you), like .223 or .308, but the Whelen is just plan cool.

I'm used to a .30-30, since my dad had a Glenfield when I was growing up. I always thought a Marlin in the marginally-bigger .35 Remington would be in my future when I got around to buying one, but the Whelen is a better 35 offering. And I'm not completely sold on a lever gun even though I grew up using one.

Oh, and this is a good little read I found trying to Google for more info on the Ruger offering in this caliber: http://35whelen.blogspot.com/

Edit to add: Got nothing on sourcing the leather accessory, sorry. But figured I'd give some props for the nice rifle.

b52fizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prolly has nothing to do with this but, years ago there was a custom marlin built for guns and ammo magazine, possibly wild west guns, not sure, but had an ammo storage in the buttstock on the top comb, ease milled flat then drilled with a sliding top looked like plain stock when shut, had springs to lift cartridges when slid open, haven't been able to find Pics since then, I want one like this if I can find out who did it or someone to do it

Latest posts

Top Bottom