Help With Mosin Nagant Archangel Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

I recently traded a buddy for this gun. Ive never really gotten into MNs let alone adding a tacticool stock to one. However, Ive been in a project mood here lately and would like to take this gun to the next level. Looking for advice on which way to go about modifying it. I plan on it being a 300yd deer slayer, what type of accuracy could one expect out of a scoped mosin?

1- Cut the barrel down to 16" Crown it (really need help with how to crown a barrel)
2- Remove that ridiculous scope mount and cheapo scope. Drill and Tap receiver for a rail.
3- Modify bolt handle for low mounted scope. Should I cut and drill/tap for an aftermarket handle or what?
4- Paint stock OD green or brown...duracoat, cerakote, alumahyde???
5- Paint Gun Flat black
6- Which scope would you recommend for what im doing?
7- Could I brown the bolt or do anything to remove the shininess?

Thanks for all the input folks.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently traded a buddy for this gun. Ive never really gotten into MNs let alone adding a tacticool stock to one. However, Ive been in a project mood here lately and would like to take this gun to the next level. Looking for advice on which way to go about modifying it. I plan on it being a 300yd deer slayer, what type of accuracy could one expect out of a scoped mosin?

1- Cut the barrel down to 16" Crown it (really need help with how to crown a barrel)
2- Remove that ridiculous scope mount and cheapo scope. Drill and Tap receiver for a rail.
3- Modify bolt handle for low mounted scope. Should I cut and drill/tap for an aftermarket handle or what?
4- Paint stock OD green or brown...duracoat, cerakote, alumahyde???
5- Paint Gun Flat black
6- Which scope would you recommend for what im doing?
7- Could I brown the bolt or do anything to remove the shininess?

Thanks for all the input folks.

Wow,..with all due respect to the OP,...I'm not sure there's any "next levels" to go to with that Mosin. That rifle wasn't designed to be a 300 yard deer slayer. It was designed to be easily produced in giant volumes, and to throw large bullets at man sized targets.

I have a Mosin that I load for. With open sights it will shoot 1.5 MOA at 100 yards and that's all I want it to do. If I plan on shooting further, I'll pick up a rifle that's more up to the task.

I fear that you're going to put a large amount of time and money into something that is never going to live up to your expectations. While the cartridge is capable of what you want, that rifle might not be. Cut the barrel, recrown, drill and tap for scope, modify bolt handle,..unless you just want to sink a bunch of time and money into a project, I'd pick up something this fall like a Savage Axis on sale, that will give you a bonafide 300 yard rifle that you can count on and you won't be out a lot of coin.

Just my $.02

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Deerwhacker, are you saying the Mosin is not capable of being an effective animal killer at 300 yards right out of the box? I find that very hard to believe considering the abundance of historical evidence to the contrary.

If you're saying it isnt a very good sniper grade platform, then so be it, but even 1.5 moa at 300 yards is well within acceptable accuracy to effectively take any mid to large game animal on this continent. The 7.62x54r is no slouch at that distance.

Last edited:

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow,..with all due respect to the OP,...I'm not sure there's any "next levels" to go to with that Mosin. That rifle wasn't designed to be a 300 yard deer slayer. It was designed to be easily produced in giant volumes, and to throw large bullets at man sized targets.

I have a Mosin that I load for. With open sights it will shoot 1.5 MOA at 100 yards and that's all I want it to do. If I plan on shooting further, I'll pick up a rifle that's more up to the task.

I fear that you're going to put a large amount of time and money into something that is never going to live up to your expectations. While the cartridge is capable of what you want, that rifle might not be. Cut the barrel, recrown, drill and tap for scope, modify bolt handle,..unless you just want to sink a bunch of time and money into a project, I'd pick up something this fall like a Savage Axis on sale, that will give you a bonafide 300 yard rifle that you can count on and you won't be out a lot of coin.

Just my $.02

I think you make some valid points. Time+money / final product = not so good for this platform. But Ive only got $300 in this gun with 500 rds of surplus ammo and don't work so time isn't a big problem either. When I put this much effort into a gun im also much more likely to keep it instead of trade or sell it off.

Its a tough call though still...I know how small purchases add up quick on projects like this.

ecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_31uJtMd0EvL._SY300_.jpg

^ $40.

I will cut it myself but recrowning will cost me. I can buy a tool for nearly $100 or just pay someone to do it. Then the paint, then the scope. At least the crowning tool and scope would be things I could keep if I ever decided to let the gun go. Still open to suggestions.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its a tough call though still...I know how small purchases add up quick on projects like this.
As long as you know what you're getting into, willing to spend the time and $, knock yourself out and go nuts. I had a 10/22 project like that. I started putting all the custom stuff into, when I finally came to my senses, I had a $1200 gun that shot just a little better than a factory one...

Deerwhacker, are you saying the Mosin is not capable of being an effective animal killer at 300 yards right out of the box? I find that very hard to believe considering the abundance of historical evidence to the contrary.

If you're saying it isnt a very good sniper grade platform, then so be it, but even 1.5 moa at 300 yards is well within acceptable accuracy to effectively take any mid to large game animal on this continent. The 7.62x54r is no slouch at that distance.

I'm saying that if I needed something to take down a big game animal @ 300 yards, a 16" barreled "custom" Mosin, launching .308-.311 diameter bullets at 30/30 speeds wouldn't be on the top of my list.

Last edited:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be a bit biased, but don't get me wrong, I do like mosins, I have shot both finnish and Russian 91/30's, and I enjoy they. They are ugly as sin and not as accurate as modern offerings, but they are reliable as hell, and if they should for some reason fail, you can go biblical times Sampson style and kill several thousands of people with your mosin-now-Louisville slugger. I feel the rifle is best left original, or the most I would do is throw a Monte Carlo stock on it and drop in a timney trigger into an m44 and leave the iron sights on. But if you wanna get crazy and MAYBE get the rifle up to the accuracy ballpark of modern rifles; this article explains what was done to get it there, and was honestly a waste of time. And in my experience, the accuracy he started with in the base rifle was higher than normal.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/02/05/ultimate-mosin-nagant-transforming-legend/

If I had a grand to blow on a 300 yard deer rifle I would pick out my choice of howa barreled actions ($4-600), put it in a nice boyds stock ($100-200) and throw a modest scope on it. It most likely would be more accurate to boot.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm saying that if I needed something to take down a big game animal @ 300 yards, a 16" barreled "custom" Mosin, launching .308-.311 diameter bullets at 30/30 speeds wouldn't be on the top of my list.
No argument here. However, considering the chop from full length to 16 inches only costs a little more 300 fps with surplus ammo i don't see it as a no go.
No doubt there are better options. A bunch of them.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys I know I can have similar money in a more accurate rifle but I don't want that. I want to finish this mosin as I feel it deserves. If I had the original stock and everything no way I would be considering it but the gun is how it is and I think it would be a fun project to see what the old gal can do. So does anyone have any experience doing this? Im half tempted to try my hand at drilling and soldering in a bolt handle vs the tap and screw method. id need some silver solder but I think it would be worth the extra effort.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am a huge fan of the MN rifle, but it's just not the most sensible platform for a build when there are so many cheaper commercial rifle options that will out perform straight out of the box.

If I were going to undertake the project (and had the means, tools, and knowledge to do the work myself), I would do it right an install a UK 59 barrel, Rock Solid mount and modified bolt, and a Bluegrass or Lowel Designs stock. In your case, I would just suggest cutting the barrel to 21" or 22", installing a Rock Solid mount, sending your bolt off to Rock Solid for modification, adding a Timney trigger with safety, and pillar bedding the stock. If you aren't looking to do the work yourself, Bluegrass will install the mount, modify your bolt, cut and recrown (or thread) your barrel for a reasonable price...http://www.bg-gunworks.com/product/gunsmith-services/.

Rock Solid Industries' website: http://www.rocksolidind.com/

If you are looking for ideas and how-to's for doing the work yourself, Iraqveteran8888 has multiple videos posted on YouTube specifically involving building and testing MN sporters:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWJHDMgKWWvOsdyRF3HPVEw

Surplus Rifle Forum also has a sporterizing section with several different examples of MN builds...including those with Archangel stocks:

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=82

Latest posts

Top Bottom