Hiked Black Mesa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, last week I went on a short, spur of the moment vacation, needed to get away from work. I've been wanting to hike black mesa for years. So, last Wednesday I finally did it. I left home Tuesday, went to black mesa to take some pictures, then went to black mesa state park and lake carl etling and watched the sunset, there was deer and a turkey that thought he was a pimp. He had two hens with him so he thought he was a ladies man, I took a few pics of the sunset and the wildlife. Then, headed for hwy 412. I got to Clayton, NM Tuesday night, stayed the night there and in the morning hiked black mesa. I got to the trail head about 11:30 am or so and was at the summit by !:30pm. If I can find the USB cord for my camera I will post some pics.

I also went to Raton NM and had dinner at a little mom and pop mexican restaurant called La Cosina, had a chicken burrito with green chile that was very good. Then, went to Taos, Eagles Nest and Angel Fire, then went to the great sand dunes in alamosa Colorado. I took a few pics there.

There is a restaurant in alamosa called campus cafe, they are right next to a college. They have some amazing food. I had a spanish omelette with green chile and it was excellent. Their cinnamon rolls are fricken YUGE!! And very good. All in all it was a good trip. I wish I was still out there.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, last week I went on a short, spur of the moment vacation, needed to get away from work. I've been wanting to hike black mesa for years. So, last Wednesday I finally did it. I left home Tuesday, went to black mesa to take some pictures, then went to black mesa state park and lake carl etling and watched the sunset, there was deer and a turkey that thought he was a pimp. He had two hens with him so he thought he was a ladies man, I took a few pics of the sunset and the wildlife. Then, headed for hwy 412. I got to Clayton, NM Tuesday night, stayed the night there and in the morning hiked black mesa. I got to the trail head about 11:30 am or so and was at the summit by !:30pm. If I can find the USB cord for my camera I will post some pics.

I also went to Raton NM and had dinner at a little mom and pop mexican restaurant called La Cosina, had a chicken burrito with green chile that was very good. Then, went to Taos, Eagles Nest and Angel Fire, then went to the great sand dunes in alamosa Colorado. I took a few pics there.

There is a restaurant in alamosa called campus cafe, they are right next to a college. They have some amazing food. I had a spanish omelette with green chile and it was excellent. Their cinnamon rolls are fricken YUGE!! And very good. All in all it was a good trip. I wish I was still out there.

Did you happen to go check out Zapata Falls when you were up by the Great Sand Dunes?

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Nice write up. I’ve stomped all those areas out a few times. Great places to visit. I’ve yet had a chance to make it to the NRA Whittington center in Raton though.

PiedmontGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Next time you get up to black mesa, make sure you go across the road from the trail parking area. There's a dry creek bed that has dinosaur tracks in the rock bed of the creek. It is actually on private land but there's a road that allows you to drive very close and walk down in the creek to the tracks. bm dino tracks map.jpg bm dino tracks.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom