Hog hunting tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrTurkenstein

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just use my good ol Woodsmaster 742 30.06. Don't matter if you get them in the head or body, they're going to feel it. I've shot them point blank in the head with a .22 and it not even phase them, didn't even bleed. If I am reading the rules in the huntin regs correctly, you cannot use 00 buckshot to kill hogs, which I think is absolutely rediculous.

"No person in the field may possess or attempt to harvest any wildlife, except waterfowl and crane, with a shotgun using shot larger than conventional BB (.180 in. diameter.)"

All the farmers I know use 00 buck for pigs. They get a depredation permit so they can shoot at night, and you can drive up to them surprisingly close at night and just point and shoot. Aside from land mines and shoulder fired missiles, there should be no restrictions on what you can use to kill the damn things.

In the proposed changes to the regs http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/publichearing.htm 00 buck will be allowed for hogs on private land. Hopefully it will be adopted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom