Home remodeling project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you use

• High quality carpet

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Hardwood of some sort

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Berber carpet plays hell with a cat's claws. Just an FYI. Though berber is a great option without cats.

If you go the carpet route make sure it’s nylon. Berber is polypropylene (coke bottles) and great for marine use.
Thanks, I am leaning hard on the ceramic wood look. I can get an 8mm tile that appeals to me for $1.70 per sq. ft. and I know an excellent tile guy ...if he has time.

Angler2312

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have considered that as well. How do you like it?
Well, the house flooded so we were forced to make a decision. I measured and cut, and my wife laid it. It's been 12 years since. Pros: last forever, looks like wood, makes rooms look bigger, doesn't stain, doesn't smell, easy to clean..................Cons: slippery on socks, if you drop something it breaks, sound echoes. We love it. It was real work to install though. Everyone compliments it.

Tile.jpg

PS Currently replacing baseboards........don't tell wife i posted this picture.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does that stuff float or get glued down?
I have foam under it, it’s 99% floating. glued down in very few areas to have a solid place to lock in. Like where it butts up to slate and there was no way t molding would work.
Most the work I’d in leveling the floor. We have no creep when walking on it. Softer and warmer than tile, far more dent and scratch resistant than the oak we had before.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have foam under it, it’s 99% floating. glued down in very few areas to have a solid place to lock in. Like where it butts up to slate and there was no way t molding would work.
Most the work I’d in leveling the floor. We have no creep when walking on it. Softer and warmer than tile, far more dent and scratch resistant than the oak we had before.
What did it cost per sq ft... material and then labor.
I'd like to stay at or below $5 per ft.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We used sheet vinyl that looks like wood planks in the living room. It's great when the dogs have "accidents" and looks pretty good. However, heavy furniture will leave divots in it that I'm pretty sure are forever.

We've also used the engineered laminate planks, and those work well.

If I had it to do again, I'd go with the ceramic tile that looks like wood. No more carpet for me, even though we still have plenty of it in some parts of the house.

Latest posts

Top Bottom