Home remodeling project

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which would you use

• High quality carpet

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Hardwood of some sort

Votes: 9 90.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My next concern is, did the painters cover the concrete before spraying the baseboards? If not, thin set wont stick unless the overspray is cleaned off. Since they were putting down carpet, chances are they didnt cover the concrete
near the walls. I found this out the hard way in my last house. All the tile up next to the walls in the dining room and around the lower cabinets was loose. Painters didnt cover the concrete when they sprayed.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have foam under it, it’s 99% floating. glued down in very few areas to have a solid place to lock in. Like where it butts up to slate and there was no way t molding would work.
Most the work I’d in leveling the floor. We have no creep when walking on it. Softer and warmer than tile, far more dent and scratch resistant than the oak we had before.
We had engineered oak glued down and it wasn't in 2 weeks when my wife walked all over it with a pair of high heels that had the pad off the heel, exposing a nail. The floor looked like we went to town on it with a tack hammer. Yay.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What did it cost per sq ft... material and then labor.
I'd like to stay at or below $5 per ft.
I was over 5 for lvp and underlayment. Don’t remember labor. It’s an easy install other than leveling the slab. That just sucks.

Carpet is the cheapest for labor by far. Just get a good pad. Take a look at the Mohawk stuff at Davis carpet in Yukon.

Unless someone leveled your slab and did it well. Labor will kill you on tile and lvp. It matters a lot. Lvp less labor than tile when it comes to install.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was over 5 for lvl and underlayment. Don’t remember labor. It’s an easy install other than leveling the slab. That just sucks.

Carpel is the cheapest for labor by far. Just get a good pad. Take a look at the Mohawk stuff at Davis carpet in Yukon.

Unless someone leveled your slab and did it well. Labor will kill you on tile and lvp. It matter a lot. Lbp less labor than tile when it comes to install.
I "think" I am good on the floor being level but who knows until the carpet gets removed.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is the insulation in the home, batts or blown-in? While you have the floor torn up is a good time to revaluate the insulation. Utilities aren't going to go down in the near future...

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Something like this looks good to me, and $1.00 per sq. ft

View attachment 512437

I put some ceramic down in my rent house next door that looks almost exactly like that but darker.

Hand scraped look.
You can keep your LVP and engineered hardwoods I have been there and will not go back.
I have used real wood many times for flooring and yea it gets character marks but those were old houses from the 40's and 60's.

Ceramic or carpet for me.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How is the insulation in the home, batts or blown-in? While you have the floor torn up is a good time to revaluate the insulation. Utilities aren't going to go down in the near future...
Batts and this house is very air tight. 6 your old new construction. The windows and back sliding door from Anderson made a world of difference.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In a previous life, we put the wood-look ceramic tiles in a conference room, and it looked super sharp. Maintenance was pretty simple, just like any tiled floor. We didn’t have any trouble with echoing, but it had oak paneling (albeit with frosted glass whiteboard panels) and a huge oak conference table and acoustic ceiling tiles.

FWIW, my niece had breathing problems when she was young (she was born prematurely, and her lungs were underdeveloped), so one of the first things my brother and his wife did with every house they bought was rip out the carpet and replace it with wood flooring or tile. I don’t recall any of them being particularly echo-y.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't get more carpet. Do a quality laminate and installation with attention to detail. No need to analyze rugs. You can have carpet companies make any piece into a rug. If you're on a slab and you don't like some of your other flooring I would consider pouring epoxy on the whole thing and getting some nice carpet rugs made.

@Ready_fire_aim

I used to to be in that business. Out of practice now but I wouldnt play around with carpet or anything on top of a slab. Pour that epoxy and do a carpet rug with pad. Thats legit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom