Honest thought on Maverick 88 field model

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrharris84

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay looking for a really really cheap shotgun... thinking used ...but serveral friends and a salesman at C&J said go with the Maverick. Main use will be bird hunting but could double as HD with a few mods. I would love to hear thoughts. I know 870s and 500s are good and cheap but I want people to weigh in on this particular shotgun.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Mossberg Maverick Field Model. I've never taken it hunting, just out to the skeet range. I've never had a single thing to complain about with it.

If your wanting a shotgun that you can do a lot of mods on, I'd say go with the 870.

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd get a 500, there are more mods for them and they are basically the same thing. I bought a used one from a pawn shop for $120, academy used to have them for like 175 new

BobBarker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought one at the beginning of the year. Ran around 250 rounds through it with no problem. It's a fine gun, especially for the price.. The Mossberg 500 mods should fit it. A Mossberg 500 has a tang safety (an ambidextrous safety on the receiver) where as a Maverick has a crossbolt safety (righty-only). I would honestly just browse the classifieds here. People on this board like CCW's and AR's so non-modded "hunting" shotguns usually go for a song.

ProBusiness

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my personal recommendation for hunting is a 26 or 28 inch barrel. anythink smaller and the sight plane is too short and makes targets harder to hit.

the top sporting clay shooters use 32 and 34 inches.

if you go to any gun club shooting skeet, trap, or a sporting clay you will see the top shooters shooting 30, 32 barrels.

there is a reason for this, they break more targets.

i think a 12 or 20 guage maverick at academy comes with a 28 or 26 so i a shorter barrel would be after market. could be wrong. seems like the 12 comes with a 28 and the 20 comes with a 26.

Latest posts

Top Bottom