How do you plan on carrying water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel1daniel2

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Considering water is around 8 lbs to the gallon, how much are y'all planning on carrying, and how, if you have to walk out with what you can carry?

Obviously it would be nice to carry about 20 gal per person but I didn't eat that many Wheaties for breakfast, and don't think I could. And since I plan on having one of those evil bang sticks in my hands lets say carrying it by hand is not really feasible.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm hoping to never have to carry water, at least not more than I'll need for a day. We have multiple different filters (Berkey, Sawyer, etc...) so that regardless of the source, we will be able to purify whatever water we can find. So I guess my plan, as ignorant/naive as it may be, is to never be more than a day from an accessible water source. We'll hopefully be buying some land soon and will store large amounts of water for just an occasion.

For what we'll carry on our person, things like Camelbacks and Nalgene bottles are great. Sawyer Squeeze for a light-weight filter to throw in the pack. We have some of the Berkey and Sawyer water bottles with filters inside, just haven't used them yet.

usmcvet9803

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm hoping to never have to carry water, at least not more than I'll need for a day. We have multiple different filters (Berkey, Sawyer, etc...) so that regardless of the source, we will be able to purify whatever water we can find. So I guess my plan, as ignorant/naive as it may be, is to never be more than a day from an accessible water source. We'll hopefully be buying some land soon and will store large amounts of water for just an occasion.

For what we'll carry on our person, things like Camelbacks and Nalgene bottles are great. Sawyer Squeeze for a light-weight filter to throw in the pack. We have some of the Berkey and Sawyer water bottles with filters inside, just haven't used them yet.

If you are going to be on the move, it would be very difficult to carry more than a day or two of water. You have to plan to purify sources you find along the way. In my opinion that is the best option. Now that is for on the move.. If you buy land ideally you would want a natural spring on it so your source of fresh water is indefinite. However, that is MUCH easy said than done.. For me, I pack camden tablets, emergency straw filters, canteens with fresh water for a GOOD bag. My philosophy is if I am on the move I want to be as light and as fast as possible. Of course the trade off is I don't have as much as I would ideally like to.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I plan on dehydrating all of my water, then rehydrating it once I get to my super-secret, zombie-free hideout.

In all honesty though, water purification tablets/compact filters would be my best suggestion for being on the go for an extended time.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a spring fed pond on my land. I have a rain collection gutter on the roof with 600 gal tank. She has 200 gal in sealed milk jugs in the safe room and buys a case or 2 of bottled water every week, more when it is on sale. IF, I'm out for the day, I just put some in my pocket.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
dehydrated water.jpg

OKMinuteman

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Carrying water from a back packer's stand point is a critical issue. Personally I prefer 2-3, 1 quart plastic widemouth bottles and a 1.5 liter hydration pack. I've found this arrangment gives me a fair supply on my back and if using purification tablets the bottles will have ample time to work at a cost of 10 or so lbs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom