How much does water cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Kind of a strange question but I need a 5-10k gallon water truck to put some water in a pond. The cattle are on a quarter that has a pond but it’s really low. The landowner said he’d have to move them back in to where we hunt because of the water level.
Anyone have any ideas

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's why it is too costly to refill by pond with purchased water:
"How much would it cost to refill a pond using water from a typical rural water district water system? Try this rough estimation formula: pond surface acre size x depth of water needed in feet x $1,800. As an example, a five surface acre pond that needs 8 feet of water would require $72,000."
Putting water into a trough as Lucky suggested is much better....but hauling water gets old quickly

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
How big is the pond? Folks usually greatly underestimate how much water it takes when filling something like that. Also, how many cattle? They also drink more than one would think. Evaporation rates are still pretty high now as well.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
It’s maybe a half acre and no more that 5-6 feet deep. I think there’s about 65 head.
There’s two ponds on the 320 we hunt. The landowner isn’t going to go to any trouble if all he has to do is open a gate to get the cattle to water.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our 4' deep by 30' across above ground pool holds roughly 22K gallons. Think you'll need several trips with a water tanker. You might check with the local FD and see if any options for them to fill the tanker. Local FD used to offer to fill your swimming pool but people without pools screamed louder than those with so it was stopped.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Friend of mine had a pond that got very low.
Couple inches left in it.
We gathered all the water hose we had and then bought more and he hooked it to his house water.
He was on a well.
Filled it back up.
His well never went dry.
I want to say 700 feet of hose or something like that.

Could that be an option?

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
sadly- the dry edges may suck up a good part of the water you add- I had a pretty deep pond on my place and it went dry 4 of the 6 years I lived there- it would rain and look kind of like it was filling- a couple days latter it would just have a pool in it- went that way until it got wet enough to soak that dry ground and then it would fill

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Drill a well
Do it the way the old timers did it—drill a well and set a windmill on it. The water table can be really close to the surface in Oklahoma, so it might not take much of a well to keep a pond filled.

You might ask @Mr.Glock about it. Aside from his unnatural obsession with crabs, he knows a thing or two about water wells.

Latest posts

Top Bottom