Hunting season question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After further review...
For Archery Season=800:25-7-51 (4) F: (F) No person shall carry or use any firearm in conjunction with any bow and arrow during the archery deer season while hunting deer with bow and arrow, except under the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, or whenever the archery season is concurrent with any deer gun or deer primitive season and the hunter has the appropriate licenses and legal firearms and clothing requirements to participate in the said gun or primitive season.

No go. Aside from Concealed carry firearm I suppose during Bow Season. However, Muzzleloader season does not have the limitation expressed as above. Hmmm..

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Legal Means of taking for ML are the muzzle loader or the bow. Legal Means of taking during rifle are bows, Mls or rifle. Sounds pretty simple to me but I sure may be wrong. Let us know how it goes if you go hog hunting during Muzzle loader season with a center fire rifle. I sure hope the game warden is an understanding guy.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's the same as it is with yote...
We shoot yote all the time during deer season (private and public) no big deal. The only thing is you cant hunt anything with a rifle during deer rifle season without a deer rifle tag. It's to keep the yahoos from going deer hunting without a tag then when they get caught they claim to be yote/hog hunting and don't need a tag.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.44 mag CCW is real effective on a hog.
Be sure to have that tag in your pocket though.

Just to make sure in your mind, email the ODW and ask your question. They will reply within a week. If its ok, then fold up the email and stick it in your hunting pants pocket.

indi

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK. So I'm just turning this thread into an "any random question you have about hunting" thread apparently. As mentioned elsewhere, I've only shot 4 deer in my life. I've cleaned/ processed them all myself but this year I intend to get them processed professional, at least 1 because I want to try that summer sausage from Terry's Taxidermy. I hear it is "d shiz nit." But I got to thinking, what happens if you don't find a deer until like, 9:00 pm or something? Do you just keep it in the bed of your truck until morning to turn it in to them or is there a way to get it to them at night? And what are his hours? I didn't see them last time I looked at his website.

A friend of mine gave me some summer sausage from terry's.................... it was OMG GOOD! Thats were ill be taking my deer for processing. I was also told if that you have to skin your deer, and he only charges $45ish. I could be wrong but i swear he said it was from terry'. Well i guess i am wrong the place my buddy told me about is in tulsa not OKC.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.44 mag CCW is real effective on a hog.
Be sure to have that tag in your pocket though.

Just to make sure in your mind, email the ODW and ask your question. They will reply within a week. If its ok, then fold up the email and stick it in your hunting pants pocket.

Now that's good advice! :) Thanks.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do not read anything in the regs that prevent you from hog hunting with a centerfire during ML or bow season, as long as the tag criteria has been met. Hogs are legal by any means that currently have an open season. Ex. With a bow during bow season, with a ML during ML season, with birdshot during quail season if you so desire. Coyotes are open year round. It is legal to shoot coyotes with a centerfire rifle. It is legal to shoot coyotes year round with a centerfire rifle, therefore it is legal to shoot hogs year round with a centerfire rifle.

For Archery Season=800:25-7-51 (4) F: (F) No person shall carry or use any firearm in conjunction with any bow and arrow during the archery deer season while hunting deer with bow and arrow, except under the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, or whenever the archery season is concurrent with any deer gun or deer primitive season and the hunter has the appropriate licenses and legal firearms and clothing requirements to participate in the said gun or primitive season.

Essentially that means you can't carry a rifle with you bow hunting during the archery season while hunting deer with a bow and arrow. That does not mean you cannot be afield with a centerfire rifle hunting coyotes and hogs during archery season. At least that is how I interpret that. I'd hate to go head to head with the warden in the field on that argument, but to me it is quite clear.

VIKING

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I guess we can be hunting with a center fire rifle during muzzle loader season and just explain to the ranger that we're really not deer hunting we are actually pig hunting. Sure, I bet that will really work. Kind of like a friend of mine ask his wife one time when she caught him in a situation that he shouldn't have been in: Honey, are you going to believe your lieing eyes or are you going to believe what I'm fixing to tell you? Good question...

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I guess we can be hunting with a center fire rifle during muzzle loader season and just explain to the ranger that we're really not deer hunting we are actually pig hunting. Sure, I bet that will really work. Kind of like a friend of mine ask his wife one time when she caught him in a situation that he shouldn't have been in: Honey, are you going to believe your lieing eyes or are you going to believe what I'm fixing to tell you? Good question...

You can... It's really not a big deal
Ya sure the GW might not believe you but until he finds you dragging out a deer there isnt much he can do.
Remember, there are a lot of varmint hunters out there that do not deer hunt. Seeing that varmint season is "year round" that includes through out all deer seasons. And rifles are legal for varmints...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At least that is how I interpret that. I'd hate to go head to head with the warden in the field on that argument, but to me it is quite clear.

This is why I said to fold up a positive email from the ODW, and keep it in your pocket.

Oklahoma has a lot of wildlife regulations that can be interperted in many different ways at the discretion of a Game Warden.

Latest posts

Top Bottom