Hydro-modded watch - anyone want to destroy it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple weeks ago, I posted a photo of a hyperbar system dive watch. These watches feature a case that is filled with low viscosity oil. Theoretically, this renders the watches completely waterproof, as the pressure inside the case will equalize with the outside water pressure. While doing some research on how to go about changing the battery on the hyperbar, I discovered that it has become somewhat common for folks to create their own “hyperbar” watches by filling any quartz watch case with silicon oil. I had to try it myself. The watch in the photos is the cheapest dive watch I could find on AliExpress. The watch states it is 50 meter rated, but I would be surprised if it survived a trip through the shower. The process of filling the case with silicone oil was very easy. It has been running for a few days and is keeping good time. I am dying to know if it will stand up to pressure. Anybody here have a pressure tester and want to try to destroy it?

Attachments

• IMG_0998.jpeg
    IMG_0998.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1001.jpeg
    IMG_1001.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the heat from the pressure cooker would kill the watch. There are testers made to test dive watches, I don’t have one. Thought one of the serious watch guys on the forum might have one.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Couple weeks ago, I posted a photo of a hyperbar system dive watch. These watches feature a case that is filled with low viscosity oil. Theoretically, this renders the watches completely waterproof, as the pressure inside the case will equalize with the outside water pressure. While doing some research on how to go about changing the battery on the hyperbar, I discovered that it has become somewhat common for folks to create their own “hyperbar” watches by filling any quartz watch case with silicon oil. I had to try it myself. The watch in the photos is the cheapest dive watch I could find on AliExpress. The watch states it is 50 meter rated, but I would be surprised if it survived a trip through the shower. The process of filling the case with silicone oil was very easy. It has been running for a few days and is keeping good time. I am dying to know if it will stand up to pressure. Anybody here have a pressure tester and want to try to destroy it?
How do you keep the oil in the watch when changing time? Do you just hold it crown up ?
That looks kind of cool.

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How do you keep the oil in the watch when changing time? Do you just hold it crown up ?
That looks kind of cool.
My understanding is that surface tension of the oil prevents it from leaking out. My hyperbar also just has a push down crown, it’s never leaked. So far I’ve seen no leakage on the prototype.

Latest posts

Top Bottom