Hypothetical Question?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you had a Reminton 700 in a 25-06 that you shot a squib round in (lodged in the barrel) then shot another round through... Big bang, blow back in your face, confusion.... Can't open the bolt what would you do with the gun.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I were you, I'd sell it to me for a few bucks for scrap. Otherwise, take it to a gunsmith. They'll remove the barrel to get the casing out and remove pressure off the bolt. then the bolt face can be inspected. I'd have a new barrel put on and continue to shoot it myself. One round like that didn't ruin the action.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was the ammo factory or reloads? If it's factory, I'd report it to the ammo manufacturer and the gun manufacture. There have been cases where the ammo manufacturer replaced guns if there is any chance the ammo was to blame. Depending on when the gun was made, the gun manufacturer may or may not still be in business (ownership changes at Remington) or if it was reloads the warranty is likely voided. I've read cases where guns got repaired or replaced even when it was reloads or otherwise neither manufacturer was really liable. Can't hurt to let them know.

Your best case scenario is probably if it was factory ammo. They'll probably want to inspect the gun and what's left of the box of ammo.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you had a Reminton 700 in a 25-06 that you shot a squib round in (lodged in the barrel) then shot another round through... Big bang, blow back in your face, confusion.... Can't open the bolt what would you do with the gun.
Care to share more of the squib story. Reloads/Factory ???? Depends on the condition/year/value etc. of the Rem 700 before this happen. Let a gunsmith remove the barrel and bolt. Inspect and go from there.

caliberbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uuuummmmmm, since your posted on here I’m assuming your vision and hands are ok. Glad you aren’t hurt worse if you’re even hurt at all. Take that thing to a gun smith and have them give it a look over. Lastly, who’s reloads were those?

Sad Season 1 GIF by Friends

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You should take pictures and past it on OSA. Then remove barrel inspect action and rebarrel. I would personally love to take the action off your hands. I’m always looking for projects to work on. This would be a great one.