I can't decide between a Glock 17 and a Glock 21.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heavysmoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last year I consolidated everything to 9mm. I currently rotate carry between a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Depending on what I'm wearing. I decided I want a full size gun for the night stand. I'm torn between the Gen 4 17 and the Gen 4 21. Adding a caliber would give me another option when ammo is hard to find but I already have a bunch of magazines for the 17. I can't make this decision on my own so any input would be appreciated.

HMCS(FMF)Ret.

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last year I consolidated everything to 9mm. I currently rotate carry between a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. Depending on what I'm wearing. I decided I want a full size gun for the night stand. I'm torn between the Gen 4 17 and the Gen 4 21. Adding a caliber would give me another option when ammo is hard to find but I already have a bunch of magazines for the 17. I can't make this decision on my own so any input would be appreciated.

I consolidated to 9mm last year also. The 17 or 21? Tough choice. Both great guns. If you want a larger caliber or another caliber option, why not get a shotgun. Easier to find ammo for...much better for home defense. Or if you want something fun and bad-ass maybe a Zavasta PAP pistol (762x39). Of course home defense depends on a lot of variables. For me it's just the wife and I so I don't have too worry about over-penetration of a round into a childs bedroom. So YMMV.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm gonna say 17 because several years ago we decided to consolidate calibers to simplify things ... HOWEVER ...

that was then and this is now ...

we have slowly acquired every single Glock caliber we got rid of ... why?? Because we have snagged good buys on this caliber or that caliber ... or we have acquired ammo in trades ... or any number of other reasons ...

We now have Glocks in every caliber except .380 ... and after shooting the 42 a couple of weekends ago, that is a "problem" that will be rectified shortly ... :wink2:

Given the way ammo shelves look nowadays (and powder shelves ... and bullet shelves), I don't think having a gun in every caliber under the sun is excessive ... but then I'm kinda a "gun gurl" and always looking for an excuse to buy a new toy anyway ... :naughty: :D

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The G21 is by far my favorite of all the Glocks. I'm a huge proponent of having multiple calibers. There's no way to beat 14 rounds of big old American .45 automatic Colt pistol sitting in an ultra reliable, accurate gun waiting to put the hurt on bad guys! Another advantage is with the G21 you can buy a G20 top end and have a 10mm also.

I've always owned a G21 my entire adult life, currently a Gen 3 with Trijicon night sites and an extended stainless Storm Lake barrel with compensator. She's a really awesome gun that shoots big mean bullets.

There's no doubt the G17 is a widely loved 9mm but I just prefer other brands for my 9mm. My 9mm is a Beretta 92A1 with a SureFire X400 light/laser but probably not the best choice for a concealed carry gun. If I wanted to carry a full size 9mm it would definitely be an M&P. So, between a G17 and G21, easily a G21.

Latest posts

Top Bottom