I Love Gunsmoke

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The golden age of television westerns. Gunsmoke, Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide, Wagon Train, The Rifleman, etc. I miss those old westerns and the morality the promoted. Unfortunately they wouldn't survive in the cynical world we live in today.
I agree with all the above. Well stated, Vamoose.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

This is probably my favorite Gunsmoke ever. Festus bringing the catfish in to skin is pure greatness. Ken Curtis made that show. "I GOT A SIX BIG CATFISH A WAITIN' TA BE ET/GOT ME SIX A BIG CATFISH IN MUH TOTE SACK". Brilliant dude.

Last edited by a moderator:

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

And there's this. Back and forths bewtween Doc and Festus were the best.

"This is the most ridiculous and inane story that I think that I've ever heard in my life."

"Supposin' I was to go to work and learn how to... to read writin'. Well, how'd I know that the feller that... that wrote the writin' was a writin' the writin' right? See it could be that he wrote the writin' all wrong. Here I'd be just a readin' wrong writin', don't ya see? You probably been doin' it your whole life, just a readin' wrong writin' and not even knowin‘ it."

Few shows can touch Gunsmoke. As far as just brilliant writing and acting go, I Love Lucy, All In The Family and Northern Exposure are a few I'd put in the Gunsmoke class.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is probably my favorite Gunsmoke ever. Festus bringing the catfish in to skin is pure greatness. Ken Curtis made that show. "I GOT A SIX BIG CATFISH A WAITIN' TA BE ET/GOT ME SIX A BIG CATFISH IN MUH TOTE SACK". Brilliant dude.

LOL... Curtis was great! AND his singing was amazing too.

This is my favorite episode... "The Sodbusters". A mini version of Shane done up Gunsmoke style.

Guest star Morgan Woodward and his epic rants about the sodpounders ripping and gouging at the land.

"Useless, hymn-singing, tea-drinking, virgins with hoes." "Their stink holds tight to the dirt like skunk juice". Check him out at his finest at 27:30 on the video.

Also has Harrison Ford and a young Leif Garret.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only other western TV show that can even approach Gunsmoke is:

This is my dad's favorite show. A year before I was born he named his new puppy Rowdy Yates. If it wasn't for that dog I'm sure he would have pushed for it as my name. Just as well, the dog lived up to the name better than I could have. :)

Honestly I'm really picky about shows and movies, and I think most of the old western TV shows were corny, poorly written and acted, and did not pass the test of time. When you have a show like Gunsmoke or Rawhide, man, they just get better with time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom