i need advice for duck hunting on a lake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nativehunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
my friend is going also but iam sticking him with a single shot lol just cause its the only other shot gun i have.We are going for 2 days i would like some layout blinds just dont have the finaces for them at the moment. I dont know about geese i could defently shoot some i just have never eaten it and dont know if i would like it. My grandpa told me not to shoot coots cause they are nasty.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heres my checklist
125 shells

Man I wouldn't go in there without a case of shells if I were you.... You might have to shoot your way out!

;) Good luck man, let us know how you do!

No idea what that lake looks like or where you'll be, but if you have standing timber in the shallows, try leaning up against it. Sounds complete opposite of what you should do. I hunt a little slough behind the house that has standing timber in it and always have birds trying to land on top of me while I pick up deeks, or putting them out if I get there late. Apparently I blend in with the stumps pretty well and create a lot of disturbance in the water, which is always a good thing. If it is a dead calm morning, and things just don't look right, I go stand in the water. I wouldn't recommend that all the time or anything, but there are times that it works great. Wear a facemask if you do and watch the reflection, not up at the sky.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Man I wouldn't go in there without a case of shells if I were you.... You might have to shoot your way out!

;) Good luck man, let us know how you do!

No idea what that lake looks like or where you'll be, but if you have standing timber in the shallows, try leaning up against it. Sounds complete opposite of what you should do. I hunt a little slough behind the house that has standing timber in it and always have birds trying to land on top of me while I pick up deeks, or putting them out if I get there late. Apparently I blend in with the stumps pretty well and create a lot of disturbance in the water, which is always a good thing. If it is a dead calm morning, and things just don't look right, I go stand in the water. I wouldn't recommend that all the time or anything, but there are times that it works great. Wear a facemask if you do and watch the reflection, not up at the sky.

I love watching the dog, he knows where the birds and I can tell how close they are by how hard he's shaking:)

nativehunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
o yea i got that covered since ill be puttting my decoys out right before light. i would just trip over something anyway. Ill take a couple pics of the lake while iam there to show u how bad it is.

Porter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be sure and let us know how you do and post some pics if possible. I'll be out that direction on Sunday killing lessers in the fields!

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
nativehunter, I haven't seen the weather for Saturday lately, but if the wind isn't going to blow you will need to make ripples in the water around the dekes. If you use a heavy weight, and some fishing line you can make a jerk line for a decoy so that there is movement. You run the line through a loop on heavy weight and then tie it front of keel on the decoy. You keep the other end close to you to give a few tugs when you start seeing birds. You can use more than one decoy, but it helps to use a different weight for each decoy.

Side note, I put a layout blind in the classifieds on here, pretty cheap. I would knock the price down to half if you wanted to trade a rick of oak firewood.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
easy jerk weight. take a plastic peanut butter jar, fill with rocks and put an eye bolt in the lid. run the string through the eyebolt to your blind. let us know how you guys did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom