I need some freeking help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I need some help, on how to cook a well done steak.

Before I get bashed, its for my wife. :D

In my hood, steaks are cooked on the charcoal grill with natural lump charcoal. Medium rare ribeyes for me are slightly overcooked.

When we first married, a long time ago, she only ate veggie's and the occasional chicken.

Thousands of meals later, she will eat a beef fillet only. (loves venison though)

These things come about 2" thick where she buys them.

I've offered to butterfly them, but met with resistance.

I'll start hers for about 30 minutes before mine over a 600+ degree coal bed, on the edge, and no matter what I do, its burnt, and SLIGHTLY pink on the inside.

She says its OK, but it does not look anywhere like a steak she gets in a restaurant that is well done.

Help.

Isha's Pa Pa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would think if you cookeds it on both sides 10-15 minutes then wraped it in some alumium foil
it would get done and not burnt on the outside that is what I do with a good thick Steak !

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That trick, you really should butterfly them. Try this: Use coal in half your grill. Sear the steak well, then move it to indirect heat, like cooking a brisket.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
To get them done without burning you need to lower the heat. You can also do like I do during the winter, bake it.

Preheat the oven to 400.
Put the steak on a broiler pan and season with Worcester sauce, salt and pepper.
Bake for about 15 minutes per side depending on steak thickness. When you poke the steak and only a little clear liquid comes out, it should be done. Cut to check.

If you are watching fat intake this will also help with that. Pam on the pan makes clean up a lot easier.

You can make some great hamburger steaks the same way. Stuff them with chopped onion, jalapeno, and wrap with bacon.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Less heat allows it to cook longer and deeper. For charcoal grill put it on early with a piece of tin foil underneath. To keep it from getting drying out I put a piece of butter (real butter) on top while it cooks

Latest posts

Top Bottom