I need some freeking help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VitruvianDoc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've moved from charcoal to gas and had good results.

I invested in a good fill with an infrared sear side and sear the steak close @ 5-7 mins each side.

I then toss them on the other side (3 traditional gas burners) which I keep at 350 and they cook for about 10 mins each side. Takes a while but gets them perfectly medium and juicy.

Another option is i'll fire up my smoker and after searing let them smoke for 25-35 minutes @ 250 and they get a nice smoke flavor but end up being closer to medium rare.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Microwave! It will cook inside. Let the flaming begin.

This.

If you are going to ruin a steak, do it right.
1. Cook both steaks to perfection, ie rare to med rare.
2. Cut a piece of her steak off, preferably that one corner that is always the best.
3. Eat that piece yourself, so you know in your heart that you tried.
4. While yours rests for 10 minutes in foil, nuke her's a few times till it's over done, and all the goodness has been drained from it.
5. Cry
6. Enjoy your steak, never forgetting what her's could have been. Hum taps when she starts to eat her's.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guys, charcoal is where it's at to cook a GOOD steak. I only use my gas grill for burgers, sausages and such.

Dennis, like mentioned before you are cooking too hot. You can cook them like buffalo steaks. Sear them good on both sides at high heat like you are, but choke the fire down to around 400 and slow cook it the rest of the way or go indirect like mentioned before. Since it's beef it will take considerably longer to get to well done. A 2" thick steak like that is going to take a good long while, probably at least 30 minutes.

You have your homework assignment, now post some pics! ;)

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Microwave? Baking? Foil? Butterfly?

Excuse me, but what the hell is wrong with you people!? :anyone:

I don't like a well done steak either, but c'mon folks....they ain't hard to cook.

Just lower the heat and give 'em more time.
Done.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's how I do mine on my grill, but I know my grill very well. It's charcoal, and has an adjustable coal tray. I try to only get steaks around 1.5" or thicker.

First, I start with a chimney starter. No lighter fluid means happy guests. When it's ready, I lay the coals out in one even layer.

Then I put the coal tray at its closest to the grills let the bad boy heat up good. I don't know the temp, but I place my hand about 4" above the grills. When I can't make it to "1-mississippi" without wincing or pulling away (whichever comes first), the fire is ready.

Then I throw on the steaks for 30 seconds and then flip. After another 30 seconds, I lower the tray about three-quarters of the way (where I can hold my hand for 3-4 seconds) and flip again. So 30 seconds on each side, approximately 1 minute total on "high". This flashes the outside and seals up my special marinade inside. (No, you cannot have that recipe.)

Now, this is where it gets easy. My flips from here on out are in 2 minute intervals.

2 flips = Rare
3 flips = Medium Rare
4.5 flips = Medium (yes, that's four and a half... basically make flips #4 and #5 last for 90 seconds each if this is your target.
5 flips = Medium Well
6 flips = Well
7 flips = Very Well

I rarely get charring on the outside taking this approach. Also, I let flare ups be. If they last more than 5 seconds, I close the lid for a couple of seconds. Spraying water just deposits ash, and ash tastes really sour and kills a steak.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the charcoal. I'd say make sure steaks are room temp, then finish hers in the oven. Or coals IF you can get them cool enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom