I'm a scope-tard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well a great scope for .223 is the Leupold 2.5-8X MRT with the tactical milling retical...it works great out the range .223 is utile. Matter of fact it works great out to the range 308 is utile also.....both around 700-800 yards.

With that said I see both sides of this argument. Past 600 or so there just isn't much left in the .223 in the way of terminal ballistics. Past about 800 the 308 is running out of gas as well....YES both CAN be supersonic at 1000 and YES the 308 will have an edge in energy...but both WILL NOT fragment at these ranges...so not too utile. A 77gr .223 will take about the same wind as a 175 308 so external ballistic wise we are talking about the same trajectory, wind or no wind, morning, afternoon, or night. Special twist??? 1X8 is common in quality .223 barrels...Krieger (in reality 1X7.5), Hart, Schneider...so this is hardly a specialty twist. I have a nice little .223 that I will gladly meet anyone with, at 1000yd ON PAPER...but it won't kill much at that range, so YES it will go that far and do as well as 308...which isn't very good for either......and no 223 isn't much use beyond 6-700! Oh and I do have a small amount of PRACTICAL experience to back all this up, matter of fact I didn't even have to look at any ballistic charts or drawings...cause I have done the shooting necessary to know! KurtM

Latest posts

Top Bottom