In search of purse carry gun for daughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say let her pick instead of picking for her and encourage her to give a few revolvers a try. The conventional wisdom these days is "get a 9mm semiauto". My wife and daughter both see the need for a gun but in spite of my encouragement, neither want anything more than a revolver. They are both quite intelligent but if you don't have enough interest in something to understand how it works, instead of memorizing how it works, you may be better off with the simpler option, which to me means a revolver. Mine are more confident and comfortable with loading, shooting, and especially, unloading a revolver.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would avoid purse carry and teach her how to carry on her person. Most women would hafta search and dig around in their purse to find their gun. But what's worse is if a thug grabs her purse and runs. She just armed the guy.

Take her to H&H. They have female instructors there who can teach her, because women carry styles and issues are very different than mens.
This.

Either a waist holster or a shoulder holster and a light weight shirt or jacket. Purses can be cumbersome and stolen, thereby handing the BG the gun and the money.

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Things have changed, 3 pages and only bubbaturbo suggested a revolver. It is the most intuitive thing to carry, I have a simple mind and I like simple things, so I carried a S&W mod 38 bodyguard for maybe 30 years, still can't let go of it. Concealment is no problem, if it hits you it will hurt. I now carry a Kahr, I like the trigger. Training would be mandatory, but first thing would be have a talk with yourself, can you pull the trigger?

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a hamerless gun can be shot from inside the purse.

Yes it can be successfully fired,,,
But I doubt that many of you have ever tried it.

I have.

The muzzle blast and cylinder gap blast,,,
Is somewhat painful.

Certainly better than getting mugged,,,
But not something I would want to do again.

Aarond

wolfman1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For CQB which is what she's likely to encounter, nothing wrong with a .22 LR rig. Small, concealable and a .22 in the ear or eye is a fight stopper.

I go with the rest, body carry, not purse, and H&H to try out several. And instruction/practice. As Frank Galli of Sniper's Hide puts it:

"You cant miss fast enough to win a gunfight. Get out and practice."

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I would move and try to rest my mind, but even I would like a 38 cause its always ready. She may also need some training in self defense.

And also how to reload if the need arises. Reloading a revolver requires much more skill and practice than reloading a semi-auto.

Latest posts

Top Bottom