• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Inexpensive muzzleloader

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
depending on the era of the muzzle loader, the rifling may not be well suited for sabots.
Isn't that the truth. My first MZ was a TC Hawkins around 1985 somewhere abouts. Had no clue about anything other than load some BP, and a sabot, then shoot. At 100 yards, couldn't hit a cardboard box the size of a refrigerator. Moved up to 50 yards and got hits all over it.
About that time Knight came out with inlines. Bought one and it was accurate.
Then the internet came along for the masses, and found out the 1:50 rifling in the Hawkins only supported the patch and ball. Went back out with the correct load, and it was quite accurate.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Isn't that the truth. My first MZ was a TC Hawkins around 1985 somewhere abouts. Had no clue about anything other than load some BP, and a sabot, then shoot. At 100 yards, couldn't hit a cardboard box the size of a refrigerator. Moved up to 50 yards and got hits all over it.
About that time Knight came out with inlines. Bought one and it was accurate.
Then the internet came along for the masses, and found out the 1:50 rifling in the Hawkins only supported the patch and ball. Went back out with the correct load, and it was quite accurate.
My TC Hawken .50 cal was a kit gun and didn't like plastic sabots and bullets either but it would shoot RWS caps, patched Hornady round balls and regular black powder great.

Even after it became legal I never did hang glass on it but I did put a high vis front sight on it, had my gunsmith buddy hot blue the barrel matte, lightly sandblasted all the shiny brass dull and changed it over to a single trigger.....great gun, took a few deer and one hog with it.

tck.jpg

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep,

Back in the day, before in-lines and 209 primers were allowed for hunting the TC Hawken was about the top of the line.

The deer population increased, and the laws became less restrictive. Knight guns came along at a very attractive price and changed everything.

I still use my old sidelocks for fun, but the newer technology is just more reliable.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes my old Lyman great plains muzzleloader had a 1:66 rifling and patch and round ball was the only thing it would shoot accurate. In wet weather I would use strips of saran wrap to cover the cap . I would go completely over the cap and around the wood and form a layer to keep any rain out. It didn't hinder the sidelock function.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My TC Hawken .50 cal was a kit gun and didn't like plastic sabots and bullets either but it would shoot RWS caps, patched Hornady round balls and regular black powder great.

Even after it became legal I never did hang glass on it but I did put a high vis front sight on it, had my gunsmith buddy hot blue the barrel matte, lightly sandblasted all the shiny brass dull and changed it over to a single trigger.....great gun, took a few deer and one hog with it.

View attachment 518066
Out of curiosity, what’s the twist rate of the barrel?
Typically, RB barrels are 1:66 and regular conical barrels are 1:48.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Out of curiosity, what’s the twist rate of the barrel?
Typically, RB barrels are 1:66 and regular conical barrels are 1:48.

Apparently the TC Hawken barrels came with both twists and I can't positively say which twist my barrel was all I know is that patched round balls worked better than sabots...after seeing that it liked round balls I never did get around to trying conicals like the Hornady Great Plains.

hgp.jpg

Istandalone

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first muzzleloader was a cap and ball sidelock pistol kit. It was a hand cannon. Fired it in a basement gun range once. People upstairs thought there was an explosion. LOL

My T.C. Hawkin, 1:48 twist, shot maxi-balls okay.

I then "graduated" to a entry level MML (Knight) T-5 inline. still have it.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
199   0   0
The TC maxi-balls shot really well in my Renegade. Also had an early CVA in-line in 54. That thing would clover leaf the maxi balls but there was no 209 conversion available. Gave it to dad but I think he gave it to a buddy. Would like to have it back now.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Any of you guys come up with an old cheap decorative type ML I would gladly trade a sword for it. Like to have something like a Pennsylvania long rifle or a Hawkin type. Something with a lot of brass I can hang with a sword.

Latest posts

Top Bottom