Info on the big churches in OKC area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your title implies you're looking for a big church but the criteria above defeats your search. The "big churches" do all the above, because that's what today's entertainment, feel good audiences demand. "Big churches" are business entities and revenue is job #1.

If you're truly looking for ... what you say, you'll be visiting smaller groups. PM me for more info.

I have to agree with that in bold above.

If you like analytical, search out a church that focuses strongly on the Bible. Not every congregation of a "brand" of church does that. If you really like the analytical side of things, go to YouTube and watch videos of Christian apologetists. I can recommend just about anything by Ravi Zacharias (recently passed away, but his online ministry works on), J. Warner Wallace, and Frank Turek. With regards to J. Warner Wallace, he was an atheist and cold case detective. When his wife became a Christian, he studied to see if what she was believing was false. What he found led him to become a Christian and an apologist himself.

Wife and I attend a Church of Christ in Mustang. Our church also has a small group program referred to as Life Groups. A lot of the groups meet in the homes of those in the group. Mustang might be a bit far for you, but if you are interested, send me a PM. I'm sure out group would welcome your attendance. Our group is made up of all ages from me as the oldest (74-years-old) down to the newborn babies to two of our young families.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Check out Faith Church. It is located at NW 122nd and MacArthur. Our second service 10:30am streams live every Sunday.

I know that GMAR from here attends Faith as well, but not sure of any other OSA’rs

One of the biggest selling points for me is how welcoming and non-judgmental everyone there has always been. The staff is open about their shortcomings as people and not what some people deem as “bible thumpers.”

I won’t try to sell you on our church but I’d be happy to share my history and experiences with you so you might understand why we decided to make Faith Church our home.

GunSlingingPlatypus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me tell you what works for me. I grew up Pentecostal and Southern Baptist. I've been in church my entire life and I was very active in my youth group growing up. My churches growing up weren't that large maybe a couple hundred in the congregation.

In 2000 while I was a sophomore in college I started attending Life Church when there was only one building/campus. I went there for 2 years and really enjoyed it. As a retired rock star I'm all about the music. I love the loud rock with lights and some stage presence. It's just in my blood. Because of that, I was recruited to help start another church.

In 2002, I was recruited by Brian Rush and Herbert Cooper to help start People's Church. They needed a drummer and I was the rock oriented drummer they wanted. I left Life Church to launch People's Church and I was there until 2018. I took a sabbatical from drummer after my divorce in 2014 and just never got back to it thanks to the arthritis in my neck. I'm only 40 years old but thanks to years of drumming I have a messed up C1, C2, and C3.

In 2018 some friends of mine that used to attend People's Church invited my boys and me to visit their church, Victory Church Edmond. We went and my boys loved it! They're really engaged and love the other kids and the leaders. My boys are 7 and 9. I really love Pastor Jon Chasteen and his messages and preaching style. I'm not a big fan of the music (not rocking enough) but it's tolerable because I love the messages. They tried to get me to drum but I told them it wasn't heavy enough and not my style, plus the issue with my neck could be a problem. My kids prefer Victory over People's Church because they felt like they didn't fit in at People's Church and didn't learn anything just played. They're learning and having fun at Victory Church.

Victory Church has two campuses (Edmond and Warr Acres). I would guess on any given Sunday the Edmond campus has around 300-400 attendees and two services (9:00 and 11:00).

n2soonerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Life Church, Pastor Craig Groeschel. This church is real, the Word is preached but no one is brow beaten into submission. Most people that visit come back. Give them a visit.

They also have Church online.
I also enjoy LifeChurch. Great message and I always feel more prepared for the week when I attend!

okieshooter777

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great for you to want to go back to church! Great Step.. May i suggest opening up the bible and trying to do some daily bible reading as well? Maybe start in the New Testament and pick a book and read a chapter a day? What a great way to start the day!

Also remember, that church isnt about being entertained as much as it is about praising the one true GOD. Church is the people and not the building or the band. We aim to be like Jesus, and since we are the church, we should be wanting to be serve others!

My first choice I would suggest maybe checking out Memorial road church of Christ, if it is not too far to drive up close to OC.
Moore church of christ (aka central COC), i have heard has a friendly open inviting group of folks i have heard.

Last edited:

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also remember, that church isnt about being entertained as much as it is about praising the one true GOD.
That is the truth! Not demeaning anyone or any church but God does not need a gimmick to draw people. Being taught the Word is vital and if a church is merely telling the congregation what they want to hear it wrong.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is the truth! Not demeaning anyone or any church but God does not need a gimmick to draw people. Being taught the Word is vital and if a church is merely telling the congregation what they want to hear it wrong.

God doesn't need a gimmick. But sometimes people do. You gotta get them in the door before you can feed them the bread of life. What I've observed over the past 10 years is that a place like Life Church is or becomes a stepping stone for many folks. They get exposed to the Word, a change takes place in their lives and then they want more.

Raptor62

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And, I've heard people say that they chose their church because it has a great band.

That band, no matter how good they are, won't get anyone to Heaven.
So true!
I know lots that change church because of music too loud...not loud enough....music too long....music too short.....
Love my pastor....in the last 25 years our music leaders have changed many times....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom