Interesting use of an old tank.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i479.photobucket.com_albums_rr155_OldFart_57_8ceb73b8_aa47_4e45_a647_e6423d3cd2d1_zps088bfe47.jpg

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Can't beat that! I know a guy that tar'ed a oil fiel dog house and put it in side of a hill, works good. We have a shelter but would like one to store veggies in and to have more underground protection.

GeneW

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw on the local news a few weeks ago and saw a story about a school, I think it was Chickasha, wanted tornado shelters but couldn't afford the million dollars. They took 4 of those 40 foot shipping containers, connected them, dug them into a berm, dirt covered, concrete anchored, etc. IIRRC the total cost was around $50 - $60 thousand dollars.

I think one of those shorter shipping containers would be ideal.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are folks that are burying the shipping containers around here to use as shelters. We are entertaining doing the same at our range in Ponca to store target materials, and have a place for folks to get if they are out there.

Old Timer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful burying containers, they don't have support in the roof, only at the corners. I seen one caved in due to dirt on top of it.
I would like to see the engineering on one of these to see what could be done to beef them up for burying.

n2sooners

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful burying containers, they don't have support in the roof, only at the corners. I seen one caved in due to dirt on top of it.
I would like to see the engineering on one of these to see what could be done to beef them up for burying.

I was thinking about that too. Of course you don't have to bury them completely, they could be flush or have a berm built around them, but you would still want some reinforcement in case something heavy like a tree or car was dropped on top of it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right after the Moore tornado a friend of mine posted the idea of using the shipping containers. I don't get why they haven't caught on more.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Latest posts

Top Bottom