Invasion of privacy, NC TV station publishes CWP ID Info

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What legal action? Were any laws broken?

Michael

Do you have any concern for your right to privacy?:rolleyes2 You might want to consider a reply like this one from another forum. While no names were given, it will make it a lot easier for the bad guys to do a home invasion or a robbery while the owners are out. Anyone with an ounce of sense should be able to think out those two scenario out fairly easily.

.."It does not give names but how many people on a specific street have their conceal license. If you live on a street with few houses it really is "outing" your house as a house with a bunch of guns."..

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You don't actually think that everyone with a ccw permit has a "bunch of guns" do you ? I suspect the great majority have maybe one or two. That aside, I seem to remember another state or city doing this many years ago. I wouldn't like it but then I shread all my throw away mail. I like being off the radar screen.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You don't actually think that everyone with a ccw permit has a "bunch of guns" do you ? I suspect the great majority have maybe one or two.

I would suspect the IQ level of most robbers/felons would not be on the Einstein level. If they knew of a person that has a CCW Permit, that would probably be enough incentive for the home invasion idea and or home robbery idea to take root and bloom in their felony prone/get something for nothing minds.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If no names were given or specific addresses, i dont see a crime. No different than saying x number of people on this street has driver licenses.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best way that I can explain my thoughts: It's the camel's nose under the tent or seeing just how much they can get away with. If they can get away doing this this time, some time in the future it could be names, addresses, etc.

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MLR

Michael
Do you have any concern for your right to privacy?:rolleyes2 You might want to consider a reply like this one from another forum. While no names were given, it will make it a lot easier for the bad guys to do a home invasion or a robbery while the owners are out. Anyone with an ounce of sense should be able to think out those two scenario out fairly easily.

.."It does not give names but how many people on a specific street have their conceal license. If you live on a street with few houses it really is "outing" your house as a house with a bunch of guns."..
I am very concerned about privacy. I feel that what the newspaper did was in poor taste in the very least and worse it could endanger those that it outed.

You made the statement that legal action should be taken. I merely asked what laws the paper broke. How does that imply that I am not worried about privacy?

Michael

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Michael

Perhaps I did go a little too far(heat of the moment idea) and a lawsuit would be not appropriate at this point in time. But just because no laws were broken doesn't mean "jack". In Oregon, a newspaper was trying to pull the same thing until some “REASONABLE” people with “COMMON SENSE” took “A GOOD FIRST STEP” and passed legislation that protected the privacy of citizens that have CCW & CWP licenses. People had better start taking notice of what is going on politically. If you give some gun hating/grabbing libs/MSM an inch, they will take it miles and miles. You will not know what happened until it is too darned late and you have lost ALL OF YOUR RIGHTS.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/2/oregon-chl-confidentiality-bill-needs-your-immediate-help.aspx?s=&st=10501&ps=
Oregon: Time Running Out for CHL Confidentiality Bill
Posted on February 22, 2012

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2012/4/oregon-governor-signs-chl-confidentiality-bill-into-law.aspx?s=&st=10501&ps=
Oregon Governor Signs CHL Confidentiality Bill into Law
Posted on April 12, 2012

MLR

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The best way that I can explain my thoughts: It's the camel's nose under the tent or seeing just how much they can get away with. If they can get away doing this this time, some time in the future it could be names, addresses, etc.
Then maybe we need to look into ways to protect peoples privacy. The Government created this problem by forcing a permits system on us. A simple fix would be to do away with the permits by going to a constitutional carry law. Then anyone wishing to publish who might be carrying would have to publish the names of every citizen in the State.

Michael

Latest posts

Top Bottom