Irrational Gun Pet Peeves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the instance of the M1 Garand, I wouldn't say that the en block clip performs the same function as a magazine. It is just a clip until inserted into the rifle then it acts as a part of the internal magazine. Its function becomes part of the magazine housing holding the ammo and providing the feed ramps that the internal spring and follower work in conjunction with to feed the rifle. Once ejected its still a clip.

I have to disagree. The bolded part is normally the function of a “magazine” (as in, removable and the subject of the “clip vs. magazine” debate), and this is what the clip does in the case of the Garand. Without the clip to hold the ammo and provide a mechanism whereby ammo is fed into the chamber (i.e., the classical definition of a magazine) the Garand can only be fired one hand-fed round at a time.

In the vast majority of cases, a clip does not function like a magazine, and I would agree that the loosely-goosey manner with which the MSM and the uninformed public throw around the word “clip,” it’s inappropriate. I was merely pointing out an exception to the rule ;)

By the way, show me in the Department of the Army FM 23-5 for the U.S. Rifle, Caliber .30, M1 where they use the word “magazine.” :D

Last edited:

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just received two of the new 15 round clips for my P365.
Can't wait to try them out. Hope they're worth the arm and the leg.
I was satisfied with the 10 and the 12 round clips. Wonder when we'll see the 18 round clip?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom