Is it possible to reactivate old well in city?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know that it would depend on the city, but...

I'm pretty sure that my house was at one time on well water. It was built in '57 and then on the edges of the city.

Now it is pretty centrally located and on city water and sewage, but driving around the neighborhood, I notice several houses that have the old crank style faucets with a pipe into the ground.

Where I am from, when I was a kid, this was a direct tap into the well water.

So, I'm wondering, I know I can't drill a well within city limits.

But I'm wondering what I would need to do or research to find out if I was well water based and if I can tie back into it "for summer flower and yard irrigation".

Anyone know where to start?

Thanks

Dave

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can use a well for irrigation but cannot be tied into house for drinking water in my town and several towns around me. I would call a water well driller, they know the laws and who to contact.

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your in Lawton then you can have the well but it has to have signage that states "non potable water" or something to that effect if it is well water to be legal. I know of a place that has a well near downtown that uses it for washing machines. Still best to contact the city to find the exact rules involved.

As far as reactivating you would likely have to get something to clean the pipe out as there is probably a bunch of rust and other junk in it as well as either rebuild the hand pump or get a modern pump and even then you may need to get it started again by fracking it. Not the same style they are using with the oil fields but not extremely different. Once the line is cleared the sediment will likely have plugged the well up so you get chunks of dry ice and drop them in, then cap the well and let it sit and build pressure. It is probably best to mention that you will want to cap with something of a plastic nature as at some point something will likely let loose and it would be better to blow a plastic pipe or cap off rather than burst the steel. And yes it's real you can look it up online and see video's on youtube. Just don't try and drink the water that first comes out of it. . .

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You may find some records at the city hall or county courthouse about what you used to have there and where it was located.

Latest posts

Top Bottom