Is your brass trying to tell you something?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I picked up 30-50 rounds of brass at a private range on Monday. When I sat down to deprime it on Tuesday I noticed consistent deformaties from case to case, the pinch at the neck and the small crease halfway down the main body of the case. I contacted the range master and he is in the process of notifying the owner of the rifle of what we found so that it can be corrected.

I thought this might be a good training and info moment for those that are new to shooting, building your own ar platform, or don't reload (I presume reloaders inspect their cases for deformities).

The rifle in question shoots and cycles the brass but from the pictures I'd guess it is not a happy camper. Something is obviously wrong and the owner has not yet detected there is a problem. I would hope that if they did know they would be getting it corrected and not out continuing to shoot.

This brings me to the training moment. Just because your rifle goes bang and cycles the brass, it may not be doing it as neatly and cleanly as you think it is. Take a few minutes during your range activities, pick up some of your spent brass, and closely inspect it. It may be trying to tell you something.

i1006.photobucket.com_albums_af187_mws53_Photos_20for_20posting_IMG_0372_1.jpg
i1006.photobucket.com_albums_af187_mws53_Photos_20for_20posting_IMG_0373_1.jpg

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what could be the possible culprit for said firing issue?

Normal operation if it's a Sig 55x.

All of the rifle designs that eject brass like the Sig and Garand beat the hell out of the brass. Ejected brass hits the bolt on the way out and then the imparted spin D'Bs the case mouth on the rest of the rifle. In Garands they sometimes like to beat on the rear sight knob.

victor152

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LightningCrash is right on the money. After reading the post and doing some internet searching, this is indeed normal for a Sig 556. Kind of makes me glad I don't own one. What a waste of brass.

I will pass this on to the rangemaster.

Maverick21

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. Had a Kahr that dented the neck of every round fired. Wasn't sure why. I finally read something worth reading in the general forum!

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Those cases were shot out of an overgassed AR. The few factory 16" carbines I've played with all created brass markings like that. There's certainly no reason to bring it to the attention of the range owner since its not really a safety issue. If the owner wants to correct it a heavier buffer or adjustable gas block could be used.

Latest posts

Top Bottom