Japanese ex-PM Assassination Attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shinzo Abe, recent Japanese PM, has been shot while giving a speech. Condition critical…many speculate he is gone. Gun used was perhaps home-made.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Homemade shotgun

0FC7B323-5459-4A2B-96B0-24B5BEB10862.jpeg
A62EF1D7-DF32-469E-B911-F18AD82011D3.jpeg

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know nothing about Japanese politics. Any reasons why Abe was targeted?
I do not know the gunman's motives, but Abe pissed off a lot of folks by not apologizing or acknowledging some of Japan's WW2 history.

To which I say - good for him. Moving forward is impossible with perpetual victim/oppressor narratives casting a shadow on everything.

RIP

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do not know the gunman's motives, but Abe pissed off a lot of folks by not apologizing or acknowledging some of Japan's WW2 history.

To which I say - good for him. Moving forward is impossible with perpetual victim/oppressor narratives casting a shadow on everything.

RIP
The best apology is never letting it happen again. I know a LOT of people that find it impossible to acknowledge/comprehend that. I still don't understand why a bunch of people not alive at the time of a grievance think an apology from a bunch of other folks not alive at the time of a grievance is going to make them feel any better or mean anything.

One of the biggest life lessons we try to teach our kids is to strive to never apologize for the same thing twice. If it was bad enough the apology was warranted, dont do it again. If it is something you plan on doing again, an apology should not be offered. If you feel conflicted about which path to choose, a deep reflection is necessary about the conflict between thinking an apology is due but the act is worth doing again.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The best apology is never letting it happen again. I know a LOT of people that find it impossible to acknowledge/comprehend that. I still don't understand why a bunch of people not alive at the time of a grievance think an apology from a bunch of other folks not alive at the time of a grievance is going to make them feel any better or mean anything.
I know it's a really unpopular view, but if you look at Japan pre-1930 and see what they were doing (trying to emulate the United States) - it's easier to understand why they felt justified in invading China, and claiming so much territory for their own.

United States hegemony in the Philippines and the general area had been a shining example for what could be achieved by a superior force. Turns out the United States doesn't like competition, and things escalated from there.

I state none of this to justify Nanking or the treatment of prisoners by the Japs. I do state it to remind folks that Pearl Harbor wasn't just dreamed up overnight, it wasn't a surprise to FDR, and the Japanese aren't the only nation that decided to violently take control of the Pacific.

Latest posts

Top Bottom