Jimi Hendrix - US ARMY 19 Years Old

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't really appreciate Jimmy Hendrix when he was alive, just wasn't the style of music I was interested in... but I have learned to appreciate that he was an incredible guitarist, and a ton of other incredible guitarists have cited him as being one of their inspirations. The smashing/burning of guitars, etc.... meh.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So is Janice Joplin
I haven't figured out if it's her voice I can't stand or if I just can't stand any of the songs she sang, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Bobby McGee is on a continuous loop over the PA in hell...

I will, though, admit that after someone played that song about four times in a row on the jukebox in the pool hall, I fed it a bunch of quarters and alternated between Freebird and Along the Watchtower not long before I walked out the door...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't figured out if it's her voice I can't stand or if I just can't stand any of the songs she sang, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Bobby McGee is on a continuous loop over the PA in hell...

I will, though, admit that after someone played that song about four times in a row on the jukebox in the pool hall, I fed it a bunch of quarters and alternated between Freebird and Along the Watchtower not long before I walked out the door...
Joplin was a horrible singer in concert because she was always trashed on Fleischmanns select whisky before, during and after the concerts.
She had a few moments like Piece of my Heart that wasn't too bad.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One thing I was told about singing a long time ago was that it's not enough to be good, you have to be unique. A good voice, along with being a great instrumentalist or song writer improves your odds of making it. Hendryx had a unique voice and was a great guitarist. As far as I know, Joplin was just a singer but she DID have a unique voice. She had that unusual gravelly quality, but I'm in the camp of I'm not sure why that made her THAT big of a deal. I kind of wonder if some of her legend is because she burned out so quickly.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One thing I was told about singing a long time ago was that it's not enough to be good, you have to be unique. A good voice, along with being a great instrumentalist or song writer improves your odds of making it. Hendryx had a unique voice and was a great guitarist. As far as I know, Joplin was just a singer but she DID have a unique voice. She had that unusual gravelly quality, but I'm in the camp of I'm not sure why that made her THAT big of a deal. I kind of wonder if some of her legend is because she burned out so quickly.
Her voice came from chain smoking and whisky that made it unique. The burn out was inevitable when she found heroin.
Same with Hendrix, but he burnt out with LSD. His mind worked under the influence that none of will understand without using that drug. Same said for lots of the bands back then in the psychedelic music years.
Jerry Garcia of the Grateful Dead used heroin every day for a couple of decades. When he got busted and forced into rehab, his body couldn't take not using it and he died of a heart attack.
Led Zeppelin's drummer John Bonham died of alcohol poisoning.
A lot of the greats are "legends" now.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I never knew Hendrix was in the Army. Hard to believe.

Janis Joplin was hard to listen to. When I hear her, I imagine dragging a screaming cat by the tail across a chalk board with its claws out.

TeleStratMan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I never knew Hendrix was in the Army. Hard to believe.

Janis Joplin was hard to listen to. When I hear her, I imagine dragging a screaming cat by the tail across a chalk board with its claws out.

According to news stories he served a little more than a year in Army Airborne and then was Honorably Discharged due to discipline issues.

Jimi Hendrix- US Army.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom