John Deere JS48 lawn mower.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stick4

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cub Cadets are made by MTD. We sold MTD when I worked at Otasco in the 70s. They're better made than the Gilsons I sold when I worked at M-Wards. My walk behind mower is a John Deere 14SB 21" cast deck, 5.5 hp Kawasaki engine. Bought it in 1989. Still in use but only for the bar ditch out front. (was mowing it w/the Cub Cadet zero turn till I tweaked the deck) Other than a cable and two spark plugs etc I haven't had anything fail on the JD mower. Bought from Allisons on S. May.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. I remember working on Cub Cadets back in the day... are they still good?

The Cub Cadets also have Kawi and Kohler engines, but the Kohler offered on the "bottom end" models I've heard have (in the recent past) had a habit of dropping and ingesting a fastener, and dying an early death. The JD zero-turns I've seen offer a Kawi engine, and that's the route I'd go. My dad currenlty has a Z445 with a Kawasaki engine, and it's been trouble-free.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Riding lawn mowers are a scam. Its always been about the motor in them. Get the biggest motor you can, keep oil changed, Keep blades sharp and keep grass cut short. Run the motor at lowest rpm that still cuts grass but doesnt stress the motor.

Then its still hit or miss.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not exactly...
I used to work for John Deere as a mechanic. It's the same deal as any other brand, if you can buy it at Lowes it's their cheaper junk lines. Back when I worked their the LT models were their better made intro riders, their Saber line was their cheap crap. Now they've changed it, the LT models are the cheap ones you can get from Lowes.
If you want a good piece of equipment buy it from a JD Dealer not a box store. The Dealer Models are way better, but also are more expensive. You get what you pay for though.
Ive bitched at my parents for years about not buying the cheap $1000-$1500 mowers and just get a good one. Instead they buy a cheap one every few years and run it til it's tore up then buy another. Their neighbor bought a good JD when they first moved in and it's still going 25 years later. My parents have easily paid 3X as much on cheap mowers in that time as their neighbor has on his one good one.

Listen to this man. Spend more, it costs less.

I would also advise looking at one of the brands that specifically make their mowers. Think Scag, hustler, grasshopper, etc. JD is mostly subbed out and just uses their brand recognition and paint. I am using about a 15 year old Scag mower and it shows no signs of slowing down.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
John Deere is becoming the Colt of lawnmowers.
You mean Colt won't stand behind a product with their name on it?

I don't care if JD is only licensing their name--when you're paying the JD Green Tax, they ought to stand behind the product. If they can't, then they shouldn't allow their name to go on it.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Listen to this man. Spend more, it costs less.

I would also advise looking at one of the brands that specifically make their mowers. Think Scag, hustler, grasshopper, etc. JD is mostly subbed out and just uses their brand recognition and paint. I am using about a 15 year old Scag mower and it shows no signs of slowing down.

I been lookin at a hustler. Bout nuther year n my mtd will b done.

Fatboy Joe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We had a Ariens for about 12 years. Ran great, just had some belt issues but nothing others don't have. We now have a Bad Boy (3 years) and the deck is stronger than any other I have been on. Mower still starts and runs like the day we bought it.

okievarmint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Through agreements with the engine manufacturers (ie Kohler- Kawasaki) most John Deere mowers sold at John Deere dealers are warrantied through John Deere no matter what brand engine. If it came from somewhere other than JD, most engines now have a 3 yr warranty. PM if you need help. Also, mowing at low RPM is BAD advise. Mowing of grass should be done at top RPM.

Latest posts

Top Bottom