• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

North West OK Junk silver for sale

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have $16.85 in pre 1964 90% US coins made up of halves, quarters and dimes plus one 1990 silver eagle for sale in Norman area. $325
Please PM with any questions. Thanks!

Last edited:

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Is there some advantage to buying peace dollars and other "junk" silver vs just getting pure silver?
Yes IMO.

Its called barter ability. Smaller units allow you to buy say a loaf of bread without needing change (14 dimes equals about 1 ounce). Would you want to pay $100 or even $20 for a loaf of bread or expect change?

Junk silver isn’t counterfeited* like bars, rounds, or even government silver coinage in general, albeit there are methods to verify purity.

Currently Old silver dollars are the exception as they were last minted in 1935 and they bring a nice collectors premium some bring thousands of dollars.

People know what a change looks like and trust coinage, most don’t trust other forms that never circulated.

Unlike say stealing silver you don’t take a hit, dealers pay way less as it must be refined for purity and goes to either jewelers or smelter.

If silver ever rises a 100 oz bar one day would require a 1099

You have to ask yourself with larger bars do you want to go all in when selling? Do you play poker that way? I want to sell in units.

Everyones different, this is just under 20 times face Dealers are around 20.5 currently with halves 21.5ish due to collectors.

My .02 cents FWIW.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well glad to know because I don't know a way to easily buy precious metals locally. However, my dad liked collecting the junk stuff :)

Some pawn shops have junk silver. I have heard that many will "buy" circulated coins from their bank, go through them and return the non silver coins. Works with 1/2 dollars, quarters and dimes. However that may be very time intensive.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Some pawn shops have junk silver. I have heard that many will "buy" circulated coins from their bank, go through them and return the non silver coins. Works with 1/2 dollars, quarters and dimes. However that may be very time intensive.

This used to be a common thing years ago, but as time goes by and pre-1964 coins are taken even more out of circulation, the return for the effort has gone way down. I remember as a little kid getting such coins as change when I bought candy at the gas station up the street. Not any more!

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0

That’s very rare anymore. The silver coins were all picked out years ago.
Not worth the time or effort.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
The best kept secret is 40% silver halves if your searching rolls, they were produced from 1965 - 1970. Although you won’t find many 1970 as they weren’t released for circulation, mint/proofs only.