Kaboom in Purcell friday 12 17 22 1:40 pm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
News 9 said something about a test jet broke the sound barrier.

Meteorologist Lacey Swope

https://www.facebook.com/laceyswope...Wyaeugmq4dhTHQYKQ4ODqsSR1X1xypk&__tn__=,O,P-R
·

Loud booms today?! I think the mystery is solved!Through all of y’all. It was a Northrop T-38 Talon. That is a supersonic jet trainer. It flew at ~30,000 feet at 850 mph!!!! That is enough to break the sound barrier. Supersonic! Got to this speed and altitude between Duncan and Lindsay around 1:40 PM today.
💥

That’s so amazing to me! The power of social media. Thanks for your pics and videos and time stamps. I think this puts it all together. Pics and videos below.
Video of flight path from Kaleb Humphrey

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Funny...when I was a kid I heard those just about every day. Jets from Tinker or Enid.

Yep. Me too. It was commonplace back then. Lots ... LOTS of complaints from many different segments led to a big crack down. Many pilots (and the Air Force) got their knuckles cracked over it, so they pretty much put a halt to it. I heard one audio recording of all of these 'loud booms,' and it didn't really sound like sonic booms to me. Story's kinda' fishy. "Test jet" doesn't make any sense ... not if it was a T-38. That's 1950's technology that we just keep updating. We have many more recent platforms to experiment with.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From Redhome Aviation:
Responding to questions on the sonic booms yesterday over Oklahoma, here are the facts of the booms.
* Update - I have seen a post where the pilot showed they were at Mach 1.15 as a flight of four on his final flight in the USAF. Only three aircraft were shown on ADS-B, but it was a flight of four.
At 19:32 Z (1:32 PM Central time) a flight of four T-38C Talons (65-10472, 65-10432, and 68-8120. One unknown.) departed Sheppard AFB, TX (Wichita Falls, Texas) as Gumby01, Gumby02, Gumby03, and Gumby04. The Talons accelerated near the speed of sound over Lawton, OK and reached a maximum speed of 752 knots at 1:40 PM Local at 30,425 feet between Lindsay and Maysville. The aircraft decelerated and flew to the Falcon Range over Ft. Sill, Oklahoma before returning to Sheppard AFB.
The T-38 is a supersonic jet trainer, used to instruct pilots who will go on to fly fighter and bomber aircraft. The aircraft was built in the 1960s and will continue to train fighter pilots until the T-7A Red Hawk comes online.
Sheppard AFB hosts the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training program, which is the world's only multi-nationally manned and managed flying training program chartered to produce combat pilots for NATO.
This legality of supersonic flight over the United States is maintained in 14 CFR Part 91.817, but that only applies to civil aircraft. Military aircraft going supersonic is not illegal and may be done so as operationally required. Generally, this is done over sparsely populated areas and high altitudes. Military policy of supersonic flight is covered in DAFMAN 13-201 and does have a set of rules and requirements, but documentation is left to local units. The aircraft did go supersonic above 30,000 feet MSL.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From Redhome Aviation:
Responding to questions on the sonic booms yesterday over Oklahoma, here are the facts of the booms.
* Update - I have seen a post where the pilot showed they were at Mach 1.15 as a flight of four on his final flight in the USAF. Only three aircraft were shown on ADS-B, but it was a flight of four.
At 19:32 Z (1:32 PM Central time) a flight of four T-38C Talons (65-10472, 65-10432, and 68-8120. One unknown.) departed Sheppard AFB, TX (Wichita Falls, Texas) as Gumby01, Gumby02, Gumby03, and Gumby04. The Talons accelerated near the speed of sound over Lawton, OK and reached a maximum speed of 752 knots at 1:40 PM Local at 30,425 feet between Lindsay and Maysville. The aircraft decelerated and flew to the Falcon Range over Ft. Sill, Oklahoma before returning to Sheppard AFB.
The T-38 is a supersonic jet trainer, used to instruct pilots who will go on to fly fighter and bomber aircraft. The aircraft was built in the 1960s and will continue to train fighter pilots until the T-7A Red Hawk comes online.
Sheppard AFB hosts the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training program, which is the world's only multi-nationally manned and managed flying training program chartered to produce combat pilots for NATO.
This legality of supersonic flight over the United States is maintained in 14 CFR Part 91.817, but that only applies to civil aircraft. Military aircraft going supersonic is not illegal and may be done so as operationally required. Generally, this is done over sparsely populated areas and high altitudes. Military policy of supersonic flight is covered in DAFMAN 13-201 and does have a set of rules and requirements, but documentation is left to local units. The aircraft did go supersonic above 30,000 feet MSL.

Now, THAT makes sense!!! Somebody's fini flight!!! All bets are off!

Reedman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is like my area, I heard a LOUD kaboom that shook the house, and looked out the front door to expect a cloud of smoke fueling up from a house down the street that must have exploded from a glass leak. No smoke anywhere. Another one happened a few minutes later. Thought I would call the sheriff just in case. They called back and knew what is was. They had checked with the neighboring county Sheriff (county line is about 1 mile south of us). A local resident had been shooting what must have been LARGE Tannerite charges out in their field. They were probably having a grand time. I now know and recognize the sound.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it's the pew pew in me, but sonic booms seem kinda cool to me. We used to hear them once in while in NW Kansas while hunting. I think there was a flight line in that area as we'd see lots of jets

Latest posts

Top Bottom