Kaboom in Purcell friday 12 17 22 1:40 pm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They had to slow down because of the cheap glass they make today. They would be replacing too many windows. LOL!

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep. Me too. It was commonplace back then. Lots ... LOTS of complaints from many different segments led to a big crack down. Many pilots (and the Air Force) got their knuckles cracked over it, so they pretty much put a halt to it. I heard one audio recording of all of these 'loud booms,' and it didn't really sound like sonic booms to me. Story's kinda' fishy. "Test jet" doesn't make any sense ... not if it was a T-38. That's 1950's technology that we just keep updating. We have many more recent platforms to experiment with.
Swamp gas.

ufo.jpg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
In the 1950s and '60s, Americans filed some 40,000 claims against the Air Force, whose supersonic jets were making a ruckus over land. Then in 1973, the FAA banned overland supersonic commercial flights because of sonic booms—a prohibition that remains in effect today.

I knew an air force pilot at Tinker that was evacuating their F16's years ago when the big tornado was heading toward them. He said he had just gone wheels up and saw that big black funnel behind him and said, "Fckit" and put the throttle to the firewall.

I agreed and he said no one was going to hear any sonic boom from me during that storm!

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for all the response. I have not heard a sonic boom in so long. Late 90s over se 89th near Sunnylane. That i have forgotten the possibility.
Merry Christmas all!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is also crazy is being in McAlester any day of the week starting at 11am the MCAAP detonates old and expired bombs. The explosions can be loud considering they are 10+ miles away but will shake the hell out of our building. First time I heard and felt them I was walking around our building thinking there were contractors working on our roof dropping heavy tools and materials ( we had HVAC guys working on our units). Some wild stuff if you don't know what they do there.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is also crazy is being in McAlester any day of the week starting at 11am the MCAAP detonates old and expired bombs. The explosions can be loud considering they are 10+ miles away but will shake the hell out of our building. First time I heard and felt them I was walking around our building thinking there were contractors working on our roof dropping heavy tools and materials ( we had HVAC guys working on our units). Some wild stuff if you don't know what they do there.
You should be around Fort Sill. Artillery school for the army. Booms all day.

During my training, I saw a crew on a 105 fire a high shot and a low shot and the rounds hit at the same time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom