Kahr .380

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone have one, what is your thoughts?

Looks very nice except for the price tag but I have not fire one. Have you considered a Sig P238? Single action only trigger and is actually comfortable to shoot. I got mine for $396 at Outdoor America (out of stock right now though) and the Kahr KP380 is $525. H&H has the Sig in stock but their prices are much higher for it than Outdoor America.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't know if the Kahr would offer much over the Ruger LCP or KelTec. I would rather not have a manual safety to swipe on the Sig. Hell, don't know if I really want a .380 anyway. The Kahr compact 9mm are not much bigger than the .380.
Thanks

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, I would get a Kahr PM9 before a KP380 for sure. I may sell a couple others to fund a PM9 but as a new member I can't post to the classifieds yet.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I own a pm9 and the p380. When it comes to dress slacks I find the p380 much better for pocket carry. The pm9 and airweight j-frames flop around way too much, cause the pants to sag and print pretty bad when you sit down. The p380 (and I'm sure others like it) solve all that.

Here's a range report I posted a few months ago.

Picked up my Kahr P380 after work last week. Just went into OAS to browse around and there it was. Hem-hawed around, fondled it, fussed and fidgeted and, despite the money talk the wife and I had recently, pulled out the ol’ plastic. Figured I got a couple Kahrs I’ll be selling at the Tulsa show.

Fit is typical Kahr tight. Trigger is long but smooth. My hands aren’t particularly big, just medium, but the last quarter or so of travel does get confined and bunched up. But hey, this thing can just about fit in the box a deck of playing cards come in.

Tried it out in an Elite pocket holster and it renders it unrecognizable in slacks pocket. What printing that takes place doesn’t look like a gun. Light too so it doesn’t flop around like my j-frame does.

I had a kel-tec P3AT for a little while. The only things I had against it were essentially no sights (none that my eyes could pick up anyway), and the slide couldn’t be locked back in any way. The last one for me was a safety thing. I’ve long developed the habit of locking the slide back if I have a gun out but not directly attended by me. If I lay it down I remove ammo and open the action of any gun. The Kahr solves both of those points (true slide lock and excellent sights for a gun this size) but so far seems to conceal just as well as the kel-tec.

At the range I fired 85 rounds of 94gr FMJ Prvi Partizan(sp) and 50 rounds of 95gr FMJ Blazer Brass for a total of 135 rounds. I fully expected a few failures of some kind with the tight little Kahr. But I had none, zip, zilch; no failure of any kind. The last 6 magazines I even loaded one in the chamber then inserted a full mag. I shot the Prvi stuff first and it seemed to dirty up the gun pretty bad. It also was hitting 3 to 4 inches low at 10yds. The Blazer on the other hand was hitting right at point of aim to maybe an inch or so low.

When it comes to accuracy let me start by saying I don’t have a lot of trigger time with these ultra-small pistols with long trigger pulls. I find them challenging to master. 1911’s and Glock types I can plant 80%-90% of shots in about a 3” circle rapid fire from 10yds. 5 or 6 round slow-fire strings sometimes produce clover leafs. Not so with these little pocket pals. I used the same target for all 135 rounds. The result was about 80% in an oval about 6 inches in diameter. And probably half of those in about a 4 inch oval. 4 or 5 of the magazines were rapid fire. The clear majority was all in a zone that definitely would have ruined someone’s day. All shooting was done at a measured 10yds, outside on a still day. I believe with a little practice I could tighten this up by maybe half. Beyond that would take a lot of dedication. Every flaw in technique is really magnified by these tiny guns.

Am I happy with my purchase? Right now very much so! I know the Ruger and Kel-tec are cheaper. The Kel-tec I had was reliable and was accurate. Never had the Ruger and I understand it can be locked back somehow. I’m glad I spent the extra couple hundred for the Kahr. An actual slide stop, great sights (can be changed if I want to) and fit and finish on par with topflight full-sized guns. Even the inside of the slide is finely finished. And when I slowed down while using the Blazer ammo I was printing 5 to 6 shots around 2 to 3 inches at 10yds. For me that’s completely acceptable for a gun this small. Way better than I could muster with my j-frame in double action.

I hope this helps some who may be contemplating buying one. I got a feeling I’ll be either changing out the sights for night sights or buy a factory equipped one when available. Either way, I feel I’ve nailed down the pocket .380 that’s right for me.

Go_Ordnance

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 to Hawgman's post.

I have a PM9 and a P380. I had an LCP. IMHO, the P380 (although more expensive) is superior to the LCP. Recoil (follow up shots) is MUCH more manageable, and its sights are better than the LCP. Accuracy is better, but that may be due to better sights as much as anything. Some don't like Kahr's long trigger pull, but that's a wash with the LCP which also has a long pull. I like the Kahr's wider, smoother trigger better than the LCP's.

While the slide stop is easier to use on the P380, it's too easy to accidentally lock the slide back if your thumb gets below the stop. It does lock back after the last round, unlike the LCP.

The only reason I would look at either would be for pocket carry. For IWB, the PM9 offers more power and accuracy in only a slightly larger size.

There's nothing wrong with the LCP as a pocket pistol. They're much easier to find now, and I wouldn't hesitate to get one if money is an issue. If you have the extra cash, and can find one, I think the P380 is the better choice.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a PM9 and I'm impressed with the little guy. :D Accurate and follow up shots aren't bad. I'd never pay that much for a .380 though, given you can't find any ammo and when you do, it's pricey.

TonyT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I cosiderd the Kahr 380 but opted instead for a PM9. I decided that 9mm was as small a caliber as I would be comfortable with for concealed carry. However if I founf that I could not conceal the PM-9 reliably then I would have opted for Kahr's 380 version.
In terms of accuracy it has been outstanding. I can easilly put 5 shots into less than 3 inches at 10 yards. Reliability of my PM-9 has been excellent as has been contolability. The only minus is that your wrist feels it after shooting 50 rounds. But these guns were not designed to shoot 50 rounds in rapid sequence.

gillman7

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a PM9 and I'm impressed with the little guy. :D Accurate and follow up shots aren't bad. I'd never pay that much for a .380 though, given you can't find any ammo and when you do, it's pricey.

This!! I have had several Kahr 9mm, and do not want anything smaller. And seriously, if you have a problem with a PM9 printing, you pants are either too tight, or if it is flopping, too big.

JMHO, YMMV, TTFN :tounge2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom