Kansas Carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey guys, headed to Wichita (actually Derby) this weekend for my kiddo's swim meet. Looks according to the link below on USA Carry site their concealed carry law says I can't carry at the outdoor swim meet because it's a sporting event. That's crazy.

However, lower down it says that open carry is unregulated by the state. Does that mean I can OC in Kansas? Or OC at the sporting event?

Does anyone have an expertise on this in KS? Looking for expertise though as I'd hate to spend the weekend meant for my kid's swim meet instead serving my first time behind bars due to opinion. :-) Also, don't care to be unarmed either.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure you read this in your research but it bears emphasis: In KS, the gunbuster signs carry legal authority and weight. They don't have to warn or trespass you, just write up the charges if you're caught.

D

Doc Holiday

Sounds like an event that could be classified as occurring on a school property, or under the jurisdiction of a school. You couldn't carry at such an event here.

Kansas, if I recall correctly, is not very gun friendly. Someone correct me, but I still don't think they have conceal-carry do they? If so, they were a late adopter. I'd just travel with a gun in the car, and maybe deep concealment when eating at McDonald's there, but would not carry at the event.

And prepare to be arrested in the aftermath if you actually have to use it in self-defense.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
While we do have reciprocity with Kansas, what they mean by not regulated by the state is that they don't have a preemption law like Oklahoma does.

Local municipalities and other jurisdictions make their own law about open carry. Everywhere I've been in Kansas has restricted open carry including Wichita. I don't know about the suburb you mentioned.

Kansas is an incredibly restrictive state for this part of the world.

Michael Brown

jcizzle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I read all the posts but just hadn't responded until now. This was a USA Swimming sanctioned event in Derby not far from Wichita and not held at a school or on school property. However since it was a non firearms related sporting event it was restricted so the XD stayed in the car. I ended up leaving it i the car when out and about then bringing it into the hotel. They seem to have a law but so many restricted areas that its pretty useless.

Wasn't sure about the oc meaning but didn't attempt that since i wasn't sure. Not worth losing my ability to carry here at home because of stupidity and pushing the envelope abroad.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ended up leaving it i the car when out and about then bringing it into the hotel. They seem to have a law but so many restricted areas that its pretty useless.

Wasn't sure about the oc meaning but didn't attempt that since i wasn't sure.

When pro-open carry folks use the lack of issues with OC, I tend to point out what many states' open carry statutes REALLY entail i.e. effectively making OC impossible thus unlikely to occur.

This is NOT an indictment of open carry but rather a flaw in the logic that because other states haven't had problems with OC that it is not an issue.

Personally I believe OC will go smoothly in Oklahoma (and it's critical state preemptive law) with occasional hiccups by cops and citizens who think they understand the law but don't.

Michael Brown

Latest posts

Top Bottom